PDA

View Full Version : Remote Controlled Tug

Charles Darwin
30th Jan 2005, 10:40
Recently I saw a SAS 737 being pushed from a gate in EBBR. I was quite amazed by the ugly little thing used for that. A remotely operated wart clamping itself to the main gear. The groundman standing like a ten year old with the the most expensive remote controlled airplane in the world. Whatīs the gain over the regular truck. Do the pilots have to steer?

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jan 2005, 10:42
Yes, but since the aircraft structure is designed to handle a one-side landing with significant drift, I'd be surprised if the loads encountered here are anywhere near structural limits.

G

Charles Darwin
30th Jan 2005, 10:46

Pub User
31st Jan 2005, 21:48
I saw a similar device in Llyon a few months ago, also pushing a 737.

The advantage is that the dispatcher can use it himself, so saving the extra cost a tug driver.

Charles Darwin
31st Jan 2005, 22:10
Canīt the dispatcher learn to drive a tug if thatīs the issue? In many places the tugdriver handles the communication so there is really no savings in manpower.

john_tullamarine
31st Jan 2005, 22:20
... do we have anyone else watching the shop while the dispatcher is doing ten jobs at once ? Sounds like a recipe for tarmac bingles ...

Rainboe
31st Jan 2005, 23:42
I don't think the Dispatcher operates it. It is a small neat device that works very well on smaller aeroplanes, with minimal staff required. It causes no undue stress.

TheOddOne
1st Feb 2005, 06:17
Most interesting! Has anyone any links to photos or manufacturer's web site, please?

Ta,

The Odd One

swh
1st Feb 2005, 07:46
Seem to remember an incident in Australia where the ground guy pick up the wrong remote and moved the wront tug causing damage.

:eek:

DDG
1st Feb 2005, 15:06
this could be the machine http://www.schopf-gse.com/products/tractors/powerpush.php (http://).
It is now used by Virgin Blue & Jetstar in Australia .

opschic
1st Feb 2005, 15:50
They are also used in Nice!:D