PDA

View Full Version : Calculators in ATPL exams

brooker100
30th Jan 2005, 08:46
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can use calculators in the ATPL exams.

Gav.

Charlie Zulu
30th Jan 2005, 09:36
I really hope so!

Anyway the answer is a reassuring yes but it cannot be a programmable calculator.

It makes the questions that need sqr roots, sin, cos, tan functions etc a little easier than having to use trig.tables. :-)

brooker100
30th Jan 2005, 11:06
Thats good to know, my basics maths and physics are ok but not 100%

Thanks

Frank Furillo
30th Jan 2005, 12:03
Yes you can, there is a lot of debate as to what you can and cannot use, however you are allowed a non programable, alpha numeric calc. So I got a Casio FX-83MS from WH Smiths, lots of the people who sat their exams with me seemed to have one. cost about £5
FF

Keith.Williams.
30th Jan 2005, 13:50
Yes, you are permitted to use a calculator in the JAR exams.

Unfortunately the CAA rules concerning the acceptable types of calculator are all a bit ambiguous. They must not be progammable in the sense that you must not be able to pre-progam them with lots of equations.

Although the rules also say that they must not be alpha-numeric, almost every calculator in the shops these days is alpha-numeric. The CGIs have asked the CAA to provide a list of acceptable calculators, but they refused to do so.

On very rare occasions studunts have had their calculators confiscated. The best option is to get a CASIO FX83MS. This has all of the functions you require and is used by a very large number of students, so if you are challenged by the invigilator just ask him/her to check what all of the other students in the room are using.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jan 2005, 14:09
I use the Fx-83 at work, it does absolutely everything I need in engineering terms - or any flight planning, logbook adding, etc. I happen to do. For under a tenner, it's a superb bit of kit. Whilst I have a high spec Casio progammable on my desk at home, frankly I use hardly any of it's extra functions.

G

High Wing Drifter
30th Jan 2005, 15:49
I took two calculators into each exam. An all bells and whistles one (non-programmable Casio two line jobbie) and a basic no-alpha Albert2. This was at Gatwick and the invigilators didn't even blink an eye. Second one came in useful when somebody forget theirs.

A251
30th Jan 2005, 21:39
gav its ted,

as far as i know you can take calculators in exams with you, well i bloody hope so.
and you can also take in the crp 5, which i;m finding to be the best thing in the world,
take care