PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast to Maroochydore

Johnny84
29th Jan 2005, 22:17
Hello Everyone,

Thinking about taking the Family for a trip from Gold Coast (Coolangatta) to Mayroochydore, for a weekend.

Does anyone have any Suggestions of a good route, i was thinking, a Coastal then head past Brisbane for some nice views then head back to coastal up to Maroochydore, staying on the VTC.

Could you please post the Abbreviations for any Waypoints (VFR) on the route (for the flight plan, and any suggestions and tips forpassing through Brisbanes Complex looking airspace, (I'm used to flying only in Melbournes Class G and Melbourne Radar).

Im not totally familiar with the Airspace up there, also, is there anywhere at the Gold Coast where i can hire a 172, or a 182 if possible?

John

DirtyPierre
30th Jan 2005, 03:11
Johnny84,

As an ATC in Brissie, I can tell you that tracking GC to MC is a lovely flight and well worth the trip on a sunny day.

Get the BN/GC/MC VTC and study it before your flight. It indicates the VFR routes to fly east of BN. This can be at times a busy bit of airspace, so staying in G (when possible) does help.

If you want a clearance thru C airspace, put in a flight plan so the controller has your details and can easily give you a clearance.

Suggested route northbound: From Gold Coast (CG) track coastal to Porpoise Point (PRP) then along the east coast of South and North Stradbrook Island and Moreton Island. Just south of Cape Moreton turn left and track to the east coast of Bribie Island. Track north along Bribie Island to Moffat Head (MFT). If you're in G airspace call MC TWR 124.4 about 5 south of MFH for a clearance with an estimate for MFH and MC.

Southbound the track is on the west coast of Moreton, North and south Stradbrook Islands.

Due high density traffic on these VFR routes the VTC advises to fly;

Southbound - 1000ft AMSL
Northbound - 500ft AMSL

Frequency of Brisbane Radar is:

South of North Stradbrook Island - 119.5
North Stradbrook Is. north to MC - 125.7

Hope this helps.

DP

Johnny84
30th Jan 2005, 05:52
Dirty Peirre,

Thanks for the Advice! i already have the VTC for the Area (CG, B and MC),

Tracking Costal sounds good, to PRP, but i was wondering if i could take an inland route like:

from PRP, to WNFE, and then at 1500 foot below BN's C LL 2500 and pop out near CABO, then resume Coastal to MC or even Noosa? and then Coastal Via the Stradbrokes on the way back. Is this possible, i plan to stay under class C for BN, and fly around the Archer Field GAAP, Both seem like good routes though!

John

dude65
30th Jan 2005, 08:20
J84

Why not track coastal for the northbound part of your trip. Stop at YBMC for a feed.
(It's walkin distance to Mudjimba beach if it's a hot one. Might also be able to bum a lift on one of the transfers buses and get a bite at the Novatel)).

After that head to Noosa then inland over Mapleton & Maleny,Glasshouse mountains and Lake Samsonvale and into YBAF via the TV Towers. You could then head across to Mt Tamborine (lookout-It's YBAF's training area)then back over the Gold Coast hinterland to YBCG.
Like Pierre said, if it's a nice day you'll have plenty to look at on the way north and on the way back.

Enjoy your flight

gooneydog
31st Jan 2005, 08:15
If yu'd like to meet up wi a couple of ppruners I'll be around Maroochydore for all of Feb just let me know when ( I'm a scotty on holiday )

DirtyPierre
1st Feb 2005, 05:32
J84,

dude65 suggested route sounds good. Really no problem to stay outside the C steps. If you might want to go thru a little C, then put in a plan, and BN Approach will accomodate you as best they can.

Johnny84
2nd Feb 2005, 07:15
Guys,

So on my flight plan, ill put in (im still not a super experienced pilot i only just got my PPL)...

YBCG
PRP (porposie Point)
Cape Moreton (VFR route shown on VTC)
MFH (Moffat Head)
Noosa air strip or Marochydore, depends on the wife :\

On the way back;

Noosa or Marochydore
TBPL (The Big Pineapple :} )
Maleny
Glass House Mountains
Lake Samsonvale
Then at TV Towers (TVT)
VFR route published on the VTC past the GAAP Archerfield,
Mt Tamborine,
YBCG

Because im a Victorian, im not so sure with the local areas, so i was basically reading off my VTC.

Ive written VFR route published on VTC, a couple of times, Is there an Abbreviation i can write on the Flight Plan instead, also places like TV Towers west of Brisbane, have TVT as a abbreviation that i put on flight plan, do places like Lake Samsonvale have an abbreviation i can use or do i write 'Lake Samsonvale' on the FP.

Also is it possible i cna cut down these waypoints and use less, for more direct tracking?

gooneydog,

im still in Victoria, and will be holiday-ing north near the end of feb/early march.
:ugh:

DirtyPeirre,

Im only planning on entering Coolys C and Marochy's class D, when im getting clearance, do i need to get clearance for all of the route, or only the route as ill be passing through Marochy's Class D adn Coolys Class C?

John

dude65
2nd Feb 2005, 09:34
Check your PM"s

DirtyPierre
7th Feb 2005, 10:59
Im only planning on entering Coolys C and Marochy's class D, when im getting clearance, do i need to get clearance for all of the route, or only the route as ill be passing through Marochy's Class D adn Coolys Class C?

Only need a clearance for that airspace you'll be flying thru. In this case the D class tower airspace of MC and CG. If you were to fly CG to MC in class C the controller at CG would give you a clearance for the entire route within the controlled airspace.

PM me if you need more help.

7gcbc
7th Feb 2005, 12:55
Johnny,

Sounds good,

Just keep in mind the available forced landing points, especially if you are flying a single with children (not able bodied). I'm sure you have thought of this anyway.

North Straddie to mainland is a reasonable hop in a single, ask for 2-3+ , if you can get it

have fun!

7g

PRP (porposie Point) say Hi to Muriel for me :D