PDA

View Full Version : No system. Hit any key.

Chief Chook
29th Jan 2005, 03:52
That's the message I have just started to get when I turn my computer on - oops, sorry, Boot Up in compgeekspeak.

It's been working fine (Windows XP Pro) until now.
Any help appreciated, please.

BOAC
29th Jan 2005, 07:48
Chief - be honest:D - have you fiddled with it (the 'puter) lately?

Sounds as if it is not seeing your boot drive for some reason. If you are familiar with access to the bios settings on boot up ("Press 'DEL' "it should say) have a look at the drives it can see versus the drives you expect if to see. It could be that the drive cable has been dislodged, drive is knackered, boot sector is corrupt etc etc - delete where applicable!

Assuming that is ok, I assume you have a 'boot' floppy disc or CDROM? Can you boot from that?

ZH875
29th Jan 2005, 09:17
I assume you have a 'boot' floppy discCheck your Floppy Disk Drive anyway, if a NON-SYSTEM disk is in it, it will not boot. Top Tip: Go to system BIOS and disable boot from floppy, less change of an accidental virus infection from a bootable floppy.

Chief Chook
29th Jan 2005, 10:35
Thank you muchly for taking the time to reply to my dilemna.
Fortunately (for me and my computer) the only fiddling I do is change the batteries in my mouse BOAC, and removing some fluff (from my mouse wheel thingey).

Silly me ZH875, I had put a floppy disc in this morning, and then forgot all about it.
Problem fixed.
Thank you again, both of you. http://www.embellishments.us/images/valentines/lips.jpg

ZH875
29th Jan 2005, 10:44
Glad you are sorted, but still recommend disabling boot from floppy' in the bios.:ok:

Hands up all those who have never left a floppy disk in the drive:O

Toxteth O'Grady
29th Jan 2005, 11:38
Glad you are sorted, but still recommend disabling boot from floppy' in the bios.

Or at least put it third after IDE 0 and CD-ROM

:cool:

TOG