PDA

View Full Version : A new day dawns for PPRuNE and AOPA.

Woomera
28th Jan 2005, 15:10
Mr Lovell.

As promised here is an answer to your question as to why the “Can AOPA be Saved” and the other thread was closed. Short answer, your President had the final say. Your post deserved an answer, RV8Builders decided he was feeling lucky.

Several years ago after AOPA had found it necessary; to close its own Forum due to the misbehavior of its members there, exposing it to ridicule and litigation, PPRuNe, “nervously”, decided to support, for free, a discussion on how AOPA could be “saved”.
It was clear there was then a need and that we could render a free public service.
There was another “unofficial” AOPA Forum started by some of the AOPA protagonists who were denied access to their own. A visit there is instructive. :rolleyes:

PPRuNe D & G was then and is still the object of robust discussion; it was then and is now moderated with a fairly light rein on most subjects, we were, however prepared to spend a little more of the PPRuNe Moderators precious personal time to moderate discussion of AOPA matters before an audience that was not available to AOPA on their own or the “unofficial” Forum.

We appointed a Moderator specifically to deal with AOPA threads.

There was the hope that when AOPA transmission returned to normal they could all go back to their own Forum and we could all get on with our respective lives??

Suffice it to say that we have had more trouble with AOPA executives and their members’ misbehavior here in the last several years than in the entire history of PPRuNe including the ’89 wars and the Ansett collapse and all we were trying to do was provide a “free” forum for “free” discussion in the interim.

In hindsight, there was wisdom in their original decision to close their own Forum.

If you doubt the compass and influence of PPRuNe please visit the Forum Home page and have a troll through there. PPRuNE Forum Home (http://www.pprune.org/forums/index.php?s=)

Almost the entire AOPA board and a small cadre of hard core members or at least the user names behind which they hide have been banned for breaking PPRuNe rules, with the usual vilifying and denigrating of any who hold a contrary view.

Their own “unofficial” AOPA site (where the same sad sacks can say things they couldn’t get away with on the AOPA Forum without getting banned there and here) seems to survive almost entirely on cut and paste from PPRuNe followed by the form of diatribe that gets them banned here and without doubt has driven many ordinary members from the AOPA Forum.

AOPA’s “closed” members only Forum is, not surprisingly, still silent.

It is clear that we now do them a disservice by continuing to allow “free” discussion here and diverting AOPA member’s attention from their own.
Perhaps there is another reason the members are silent on their own Forum, they have had much to say here, it may be time for them to find out.

Further your President has proclaimed that AOPA does not now need exposure of its activities on PPRuNe, nor that we need to continue the lively dialogue on GA issues with them here, So you can remain on the fence throwing stones if you wish or you can join in and help us attempt to save GA. Ron Bertram AOPA President
It seems at long last that they are now ready to save us. :ok:

Mr Kerans VP contempt for PPRuNers at large, (see “whingers” above) your Presidents declaration, and RV8Builders idiot remark, the last straw for us, make it clear that they now no longer need industry feedback nor welcome potential members input and inquiry heretofore available to them for “free” from PPRuNers.

They would suggest that this Forum is resolutely anti AOPA, indeed anti GA.
A review of the many threads would suggest otherwise and that to a man the PPRuNers here are equally committed to a modern GA going forward, albeit by their lights, in the wrong direction.

Be that as it may, we can only guess from the manner in which they have conducted themselves here and in other places, that if you’re not absolutely with em you are absolutely agin em and will be treated with hostility and contempt, member or not.

They may well be right and perhaps we should not cloud the waters with our own views, their successes so far should speak for themselves.

Their own Forum remains silent??

They have become so good that it is clear aviators will flock to them without any further publicity from here. Their members are so content they do not feel it necessary to contribute to their own forums.

It is indeed a tribute to their relentless dedication to the pursuit of industry input available here, that they can now free themselves from the uncomfortable shackles of PPRuNe rules and moderating and go solo.

They have at last rid themselves of any dissenting and uncomfortable views within. As the Director Mr Murphie opines “we did what our 4,000 members wanted us to do.”

They are now the polished professionals - the future of GA. Super experienced highly effective lobbyists to whom communication, whether with the membership, potential members or government, is a watchword.

A slick, organised, unified and coherent organisation constantly listening to the grass roots and evolving policy with full awareness of members needs and concerns through the vibrant and outstanding use of modern communications methods developed and polished here.

We should be so lucky and are proud to have been able to help them through this difficult period, particularly with the guidance they received from here on the NAS, Strict Liability and other issues, some from internationally respected experts :ok:

We are particularly grateful that the RAA management did not need our Forum assistance to grow from strength to strength, as we would not have been able to handle both.

Clearly it’s now time for PPRuNe to get completely out of the way and AOPA needs to get on without any further input from here.

PPRuNe can now turn its full attention to our continuing support of the industry and regulators in the manner that has recently borne fruit here and whose garden needs a little nurture and watering.

There will therefore be no further discussion of AOPA policy, matters, forums or services, past present or future, permitted on these PPRuNe Forums, period.

That is for their members to conduct on the “closed” AOPA Forum if they wish to participate, or the “unofficial AOPA” one if they dare. :rolleyes:

Neither will there be any reference to their activities or claims of victory for this nor that permitted, other than what is reported or published in the media as part of a broader aviation article.

Of course any AOPA relationship with PPRuNe must from now on be purely professional and commercial.

They may pay to advertise if they wish to access our audience.

They may pay for a banner ad if they wish to seek members here.

"In the interest of the AOPA members", AOPA Australia executives or members wishing to present a service, publish a policy or discuss an issue here, or anywhere on PPRuNe, must coordinate it by prior written arrangement with PPRuNe administration and the AOPA executive.

Good luck AOPA we wish you well in your new environment

Kris Lovell
28th Jan 2005, 22:41
Dear Woomera,

Firstly, I thought a response would not be allowed, but am pleasently surprised. Thanks again.

As always, your comments regarding the AOPA forum have some semblence of truth to them and I can agree with you that there seems to be a 'fringe' of pilots, or wannabe pilots who try to destabilise the forums in whatever manner they can. No doubt your experience with this forum would show that. I know of a Association that exists in Australia that always attracts a certain person to attack it, even if the thread rarely involves this Association. So I thank you on behalf of this Association for always maintaining a fair and equal moderation.

I also concur that given your response above, it would be better for AOPA and Prune to no longer associate with one another. I believe that for a moderator to make the following statements;

Almost the entire AOPA board and a small cadre of hard core members or at least the user names behind which they hide

is very misleading. I believe there are two board members who are no longer welcome here. Out of 10, that equates to 20 percent, 1/5 or .20, hardly worthy of "entire"?

But what confuses me most is that here is an anonimous forum, actively promoted as an anonimous forum, and yet when speaking of AOPA you use the term hide? Surely Woomera is not your real name???

But, I must go on...

The general tone of your response is rather negative and certainly not favourable to AOPA as a whole. Why does the association deserve such a bagging from one in power?

where the same sad sacks can say things they couldn’t get

Nasty...

your President has proclaimed that

My President?, proclaimed, Yes the AOPA President stated....

with our own views, their successes so far should speak for themselves

Given the context of the previous threads, I thank you for your support.

That is for their members to conduct on the “closed” AOPA Forum if

If you refer to a closed site as one who must register, then Prune follows this same proceedure. However, your comments are a little late, AOPA now has a section where you no longer require membership.

I dont understand why you personally have such a grudge, but as you stated, I believe that in the interest of fair play, AOPA should no longer be mentioned here.

(I did try to tell this to people who did want to continue the threads elsewhere, thus saving you arduous task of moderating aopa threads, and YOU deleted it.... go figure...)

Thank you again for the opportunity, and thanks to the pilots for the feedback.

So long.

Regards

Kris Lovell
AOPA Director

DirtyPierre
29th Jan 2005, 00:00
I think there will always be a place for an association of pilots from GA. Whether AOPA serves this purpose is open to debate given two things.

Firstly, it is hard to take seriously any association that procalims to have 4000 members, yet less than 10% of the members exercise their right to vote in it's executive elections. AOPA has a management committee elected by less than 10% of its members. Why is it that more than 90% of AOPA didn't vote?Couldn't give a f...?

Secondly, given the emergence of RAA, their strong supportand membership in GA by the commercial operators within GA, and the professional attitude displayed by their executive. Is their still a place in Australian Aviation for AOPA?

What do other aviation professionals think?

triadic
29th Jan 2005, 00:35
Sad but predicable.

I don't agree with the decision to fully ban such discussion as we all suffer when any comment is banned, but I fully respect the rules and the right of the moderators to make such a decision.

If only the very few in the vocal minority knew the damage they were causing to a once proud and respected association. Is it any wonder that so many supporters have failed to renew? It is just not worth it any more under the present management. This behavior, more than anything else will drive those true believers into another association or even perhaps to form a new one that we may be proud of.

Kris, you are to be commended for stepping forward with some comment. I wish you luck, you will need it.

cheers
T
(another ex member):sad:

Sunfish
29th Jan 2005, 04:10
I sadly have to agree with Woomera. If I had known all this before I would have simply ignored AOPA and watch it splutter to its inevitable end, but I simply could not believe its approach to things.

I cannot resist giving AOPA one final little word of advice after reading that fantastic final post:

Its not the "regular meetings with BB" that matter. In fact, they matter the least. With the deepest respect, the meetings and relationships that "matter" are the ones you nurture with the hundreds of good folk at CASA, ATSB, etc. that actually develop policy and provide advice to senior management. But I expect you will say you know that already.

Good luck AOPA! I guess I'll have to join RAA if I join anything.