PDA

View Full Version : Today's flight path into DUB

wrafter
28th Jan 2005, 11:18
I've just moved into a new house in Beaumont, Dublin and this morning a/c are flying directly overhead, enroute to the airport. Short finals I think it's called.

I'm having quite an entertaining morning as a result.

Anyway, I'm curious as to why this morning, and not yesterday morning or last week the flight path is above my house?

Is it something to do with strong winds out there today? And can anyone tell me what runway they're landing on?

Ta.

Wrafter

FireFoxDown
28th Jan 2005, 11:42
Hi Wrafter,

Welcome to Dublin. The wind today at Dub is 34021KT so I presume(im not in Dublin at the moment) they are using RWY 34 - and I think(from memory) that this is a non-precision RWY usuing VOR/DME.

I hope this info is correct as the ol' memory is starting to fail! :cool:

wrafter
28th Jan 2005, 12:04
Thanks for the welcome FireFoxDown, appreciated.

kopbhoy2
28th Jan 2005, 21:14
Welcome to Dublin. The wind today at Dub is 34021KT so I presume(im not in Dublin at the moment) they are using RWY 34 - and I think(from memory) that this is a non-precision RWY usuing VOR/DME.

Yes, 34 was in use for most of the day - and I was wondering why it was so quiet in work until I'd read this post earlier! (The office is close to the departure off 28).

Liffy 1M
30th Jan 2005, 22:20
Dublin's Runway 34 has only a VOR/DME approach and furthermore the rate of movements with this runway is somewhat less than with 28, I think. Hence it is used only when operational circumstances so dicate, e.g. for weather reasons or when 10/28 is unavailable for any reason. Runway 16, the reciprocal, is used somewhat more often (it has ILS) but again only when wind or other factors require it.