PDA

View Full Version : Operational conversion to the F-35

nick0021
27th Jan 2005, 17:23
Just a quick question. Does anyone know when the opperational conversion from the GR7/9 to the F-35 will take place,....assuming that the F-35 is delivered and accepted on time in 2012? Also, am i correct in thinking that it will take place at RNAS Culdrose, not RNAS Yeovilton?
:ok:

ZH875
27th Jan 2005, 17:29
assuming that the F-35 is delivered and accepted on time in 2012?

This isn't the jokes forum, I have never laughed as much.

Best guesstimate is (compared with other projects) 2021 (they just got the last two figures the wrong way round)

L1A2 discharged
27th Jan 2005, 18:41
And 2021 depends on lawsuits now ongoing, or shortly to be placed about the whole contract scenario and the fly off competition ..

and the weight..

and the offensive capability ..:yuk:
:(

Carnage
27th Jan 2005, 18:51
Not heard of RAF Cultrose, are you sure you don't mean RNAS Culdrose?:ok:

nick0021
27th Jan 2005, 23:03
Many thanks Carnage. My mistake:O :O

Magic Mushroom
27th Jan 2005, 23:38
I believe that the official options being considered for F-35 basing are Cottesmore, Kinloss and St Mawgan. I've not heard Culdrose mentioned.

However, there is an AWFUL lot of water to pass under the bridge before the RAF/FAA get their hands on the F-35...if they ever do!!
Regards,
M2

Regie Mental
28th Jan 2005, 08:10
Don't know where it'll be based but it certainly won't be St Mawgan, the Cornish Command's future, or rather lack of it, is bleak I'm afraid.

5 Forward 6 Back
28th Jan 2005, 09:47
I thought there was a need for some new training areas to stop 323 and 612 out east getting too full up with Typhoon/JSF?

I'm sure someone mentioned that the oversea airspace around St Mawgan would lend itself nicely to JSFs going supersonic. Mind you, if 203(R) are moving, what else is there?

Regie Mental
28th Jan 2005, 11:02
It'll leave the US Navy facility but I guess that doesn't need an airfield.

WE Branch Fanatic
28th Jan 2005, 11:05
Wasn't there talk of the USN leaving St Mawgan?

Back to topic, surely the early loss of the Sea Jet (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98152) cause problems - not just with pilots, but other that CVF/JSF/F35 will need - Fighter Controllers, flight deck crews, etc.

And wasn't Yeovilton considered as a JSF base? I do know that the planned moved of the Sea Harrier units to Coss/Witt did cause some problems........

crossbow
28th Jan 2005, 13:29
I nipped into St Mawgan a couple of months ago and the place was bloomin deserted. Save a bit of money closing that backwater down.

Jimlad
28th Jan 2005, 14:34
"Back to topic, surely the early loss of the Sea Jet cause problems - not just with pilots, but other that CVF/JSF/F35 will need - Fighter Controllers, flight deck crews, etc."

Yes, of course removing the sea jet will cause the instant loss of all the above, after all its not like there's a plane replacing it is there?

crossbow
28th Jan 2005, 15:50
Thats a good point although the future JSF pilots have already started their training.

Flight deck crews and FC's are also being trained

WE Branch Fanatic
28th Jan 2005, 15:56
And what exactly will the FCs be doing over the next few years?

crossbow
28th Jan 2005, 15:59
Exactly what they do now... Controlling Fighters...

you will notice that I deliberately failed to mention which type of aircraft and from which platform and indeed from which Navy

Tarnished
1st Feb 2005, 00:42
Crossbow said:

Thats a good point although the future JSF pilots have already started their training

Very well, but I would contend that the only training that potential JSF pilots are doing at the moment is potty training!

T

crossbow
1st Feb 2005, 06:50
Not true. All three services have begun selecting aircrew for training. In particular, the navy have been very proactive in selecting aircrew to fly the aircraft as well as man the CVF. I have had the pleasure of briefing these people already.

trap one
1st Feb 2005, 13:57
Talking about SWAPPS airspace usage there are proposals for a 323/613 style area to be south of Pembery and west of Cornwall/Devon to be introduced in the spring, with the change of airspace, due in March? So infer what you will.