PDA

View Full Version : New Aircraft

1DC
26th Jan 2005, 23:52
Reading all the information about the A380 and it's testing programme before it becomes commercial, I wondered when a production line for a new aeroplane will start up? Are the manufacturers confident enough to start now, e.g. A380, or is there a time during the testing when the aircraft is proven enough to start or do they wait until all testing is finished before they begin production?

eal401
27th Jan 2005, 07:38
There already is an A380 production line, how do you think they build the test aircraft? ;)

EDIT: Perhaps a little harsh, eal, in view of where this post resides? Of more use to 1DC would be information on how many airframes are in production right now, how Airbus can incorporate the weight reduction programme in those already half-built, etc etc.:ok:

1DC
27th Jan 2005, 10:42
eal410

Thankyou for answering part of the question, any info on the rest of it??

eal401
27th Jan 2005, 11:12
EDIT: Perhaps a little harsh, eal,
One wonders what the point of having smilies are. :rolleyes:

Sorry 1DC, didn't intent to cause offence, hopefully you were smart enough to understand the smilie.

The current batch of aircraft are in production at the Jean-Luc Lagardere Final Assembly Line hall at Toulouse. If I recall correctly, about 4 aircraft are currently on the production line, at least one of which will be flight test airframes. I don't know if any "production" aircraft are under construction, but Toulouse is the site for all such work.

If you want more info on Airbus manufacture, check out here: http://www.airbus.com/about/manufacturing.asp

Hope this is of more use!

BOAC
27th Jan 2005, 11:36
:ok::D

1DC
27th Jan 2005, 21:34
Thanks eal410. I had read that they would build about 45 a year and wondered,what with computer aided design etc., if a confidence level would be reached whereby they would increase production before testing was complete.
Smilies are nice if you don't get one it is cos I haven't figured out how to add one!!

Avman
28th Jan 2005, 06:53
1DC , I think that production rates would very much depend on the demand. Of course, there would be a natural limit based on available resources.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
28th Jan 2005, 08:16
If you go to this site you can look at the current production details

http://members.chello.nl/s.c.verbrugge/

G-I-B