PDA

View Full Version : Northwood Anyone?

Red Line Entry
26th Jan 2005, 22:28
It's that time again and am in the middle of the haggling that is the posting process. One of the options is Northwood. Has anyone been there? Recommendations on whether its a "good"tour or not? How is it for wives/ kids etc, particularly with regard to MQs & schools? Any info greatfully received!!

WE Branch Fanatic
26th Jan 2005, 22:31
Try http://www.northwood.mod.uk/

http://www.northwood.mod.uk/nwood/norindex.htm

BEagle
26th Jan 2005, 22:33
What a/c are based there?

'Nuff said......

opso
26th Jan 2005, 22:50
Depends on what job you've been offered - why not ring up the current incumbent and ask him/her? There are some nice quarters at Stanmore and there are all the usual advantages and disadvantages of living in London. Schooling can be tricky if you're relying on state run and your kids have been lucky enough to be in fairly small classes before.

Alternatively, consider the well trodden bean stealer route...

Navaleye
27th Jan 2005, 08:35
Its only a short hop to Watford with its fine selection of Indian restaurants :yuk:

hyd3failure
27th Jan 2005, 08:43
Raj poot in watford high street is the finest Ruby Murray shop in the South.

brakedwell
27th Jan 2005, 12:34
Beagle
I spent a very comfortable and enjoyable year living in the mess at Northwood and flying out of Bovingdon. We had four Ansons and a Valletta, does they count? Unfortunately it was 44 years ago and Bovingdon is now a prison!

Navaleye
27th Jan 2005, 15:12
I don't know the Raj Poot in Watford (it was a long time ago) but if its anything like the one in Bath then its well worth a visit. Watford is also good for refreshing the old unarmed combat skills, especially on Friday nights.:}

Jimlad
27th Jan 2005, 16:20
Lived in the mess for a year as a matelot. Very relaxed mess with sensible dining attitude - casual till 1900, smart 1915 - 2000 - far sighted for a naval mess :) Quarters were reportedly ok, but never lived in one myself.
Socially watfords ok and you can be in central london (baker street) in 30 minutes but watch the last tube times.

There are worse places to work!

buoy15
27th Jan 2005, 17:00
Redline

Probably a bit more glamorous than Main Building

What's your other options?

Best 'o luck

Red Line Entry
27th Jan 2005, 18:20
Thanks for the inputs. Cheers WEBF but I'd already found the website - I was after the real gen as opposed to the official blurb.

Feedback from other sources seems to be that the jobs are generally pretty good. I'm more concerned at the moment about keeping Mrs RLE happy - she's bothered about the real houses as opposed to the curry ones!

Are there a range of MQ patches for Northwood, and if so, any recommendations?

Spotting Bad Guys
27th Jan 2005, 20:49
A mate of mine lived in Bushey - one of the MQ areas supporting Northwood. The house was nice, with a decent sized garden but the area leaves a lot to be desired.

Still, plenty of shops, curry houses and kebab eateries, if that's your thing.....:p

SBG

DAIRYCREAMSPONGE
28th Jan 2005, 13:45
There are 3 main MQs. I live in Bushey Heath which has nice houses with plenty of shops, pubs and restaurants at the top of the street. There is also a couple of schools nearby.
I believe Bushey is a less desirable spot due to the area, although the houses are ok.
Northwood itself has ok houses with cheaper rents and is walking distance from the camp.
You can drive to Northwood from Bushey Heath/Bushey in around 20 mins, or a lot of people cycle/run.

Bushey Heath would be my choice mate.