PDA

View Full Version : Are DAP E & W becoming too thick?

Homer_Jay
26th Jan 2005, 11:17
Over the years the number of approach plates in DAP E & W seems to have steadily increased. Now plenty of places have GPS approaches and the trend is likely to continue. Is it time to review how DAP E & W are managed?

I personally think they need to be further broken up, possibly into states such as WA, SA/NT, VIC/TAS, NSW and QLD. It might mean more documents but they would be smaller and therefore if you did not need them you wouldn't have to carry them.

Also perhaps subscriber costs could be reduced by only buying what you need. I have not set foot in WA for about 10 years why do I need all their plates?

If somebody spends most of their career on a run through Western Qld, why do they need all Victoria's approaches.

These could also be issued in bound form at every change like the ERSA so we wouldn't need to spend an hour incorporating and page checking ammendments.

Any thoughts?

Time Bomb Ted
26th Jan 2005, 23:59
I think it is great that they are becoming so thick. Look at all the new approaches to aerodrome that used to require some serious lateral thinking to get into now. Now you just do the GPS RNAV and you are in business.

My advice would be to buy another folder for the second half of the DAP east.

TBT

QSK?
27th Jan 2005, 01:43
Homer_Jay:

I agree 100% and have previously written to ASA (about 2 years ago) recommending a regionally-based segregation of plates like the US.

Still no response from ASA, so I changed to Jepps.