PDA

View Full Version : Voice Procedure

Sunfish
26th Jan 2005, 10:37
There are a number of threads discussing certain aspects of voice procedure that are both entertaining and instructive (at least to clowns like me). I wonder if it is worth combining them?

Something that I have come across recently is the clearance with "cleared for landing, No Need to Acknowledge" tacked on the end. Knowing the wonderful people at ATC, I have resisted the temptation to reply "No need to acknowledge XXX" , and just shut up.

Question for me is why do they say this? Is it because they are busy, or is it because they know Sunfish has difficulty landing( well doing anything really) and talking at the same time?

Homer_Jay
26th Jan 2005, 11:08
Normally you will get 'No need to acknowledge' from ATC if you are late final and they are delivering some message. The theory is that they are not supposed to distract you with R/T while you are in the gravy stroke of your approach so to speak.

Personally, I have found the number of ATCs around who still are aware of this theory to be shrinking. I have in the past had ATCs call me about 2s from touch down with supplementary instructions that could have waited and insisted on a reply. As we were in the middle of a practice emergency sequence at the time I ignored them. Of course the fools' subsequent insistence on acknowledgement distracted the crew and ruined the sequence.

Matt-YSBK
26th Jan 2005, 11:48
Was it aviate navigate communicate.
Navigate aviate communicate
Communicate navigate aviate

tobzalp
26th Jan 2005, 13:31
You pretty much have 3 minutes to answer till ATC really GAF. That said you only have 60 secs to act on an instruction.

Hugh Jarse
26th Jan 2005, 17:08
Plazbot wrote:You pretty much have 3 minutes to answer till ATC really GAF. That said you only have 60 secs to act on an instruction.

That's why when you hand me off to Departures, they don't hear from me for about a minute. This is because we get handed off at a critical phase of flight and have more important things to do before worrying about the radio.:E

I wish there was a better way;)

AlJassmi
26th Jan 2005, 22:25
Sunfish, Homer_Jay is quite correct.
Where you fly, the controllers have to provide runway separation. So if there are a number of aircraft on circuits you quite often find that the one ahead of you will still be on the rwy while you're over the piano keys. The sep standard is 600m and airborne for most of those small aircraft at GAAP. As mentioned earlier, they don't want to distract the pilot by forcing them to readback cleared touch and go/to land when they're a couple of metres off the deck.

Sunfish
27th Jan 2005, 03:25
Thanks for the explanation Homer and all. Distraction has no effect on my landings at all - they are uniformly terrible.

I'm thinking of rigging up a cd player to play that awful calming Muzak some airlines play on approach. It works for pax maybe it will work for me.:}

Time Bomb Ted
27th Jan 2005, 05:19
The one I always love is, "Take next taxi way left."

Is that this one coming up, or the next one???

From a student a bunch of years ago.

TBT

Kornholio
27th Jan 2005, 15:24
I have resisted the temptation to reply "No need to acknowledge XXX" , and just shut up. Why does this take such an effort to do??? When they tell you "No need to acknowledge," you are expected to do nothing else but http://www.smilies.our-local.co.uk/index_files/shutup.gif

Just shut ya cakehole and land. I just don't see the difficulty with that.

By the way, why all the self-deprecations lately, Slumfish? Who are you trying to ingratiate yourself with, these days??!?!?

Or is it a credibility thing.......

Sunfish
27th Jan 2005, 17:43
I thought you were banned kornholio?

DeltaSix
29th Jan 2005, 00:17
Kornholio,

Sunfish was just making a light-hearted comment ........ that's all

I make terrible landings at times myself I have to admit.

D6
:E

Sunfish
30th Jan 2005, 19:53
Terrible Landings? I've got the invoice to prove it:{

DeltaSix
31st Jan 2005, 09:03
Sunfish,

Mate, what on earth was that invoice for ?........... did you have a prang on the runway or something ?...........

D6 :eek: