PDA

View Full Version : Crewman to pilot

heights good
25th Jan 2005, 12:39
Has anybody in this forum done a change in career from crewman to pilot?

Any Tips or advice?

oldbeefer
25th Jan 2005, 13:01
I know of one who went crewman - nav - pilot - QHI. He's now a sqn cdr.

airborne_artist
25th Jan 2005, 13:02
Dark or light blue?

heights good
25th Jan 2005, 13:36
i know the sqn leader your on about, i flew with him a few times, let me fly all the way from odiham to shawbury once, awesome guy. Does anybody know what would happen if you get chopped pilot. You cant return to trade because there is no such thing as commissioned LM's anymore?

PPRuNeUser0172
25th Jan 2005, 14:23
Top tip, dont get chopped.

If you have got your wings then you will be re streamed assuming there is somewhere else for you to go. Failing that, you would be offered some other commissioned blunty trade probably.

WASALOADIE
25th Jan 2005, 15:55
A few have done it, there is one going through the secret shropshire airbase at the moment. There are a few that have gone fast jets as well. Try asking around the SH world some more and you may get them info required.

hyd3failure
25th Jan 2005, 16:45
I only know one and he (was) a SHAR geeza. Most Crewman in the RN end up as Observers but thats mainly due to age. Max age in the RN for pilot training was 26 and so consequently you didn't get many crewman qualifying just based on the fact that they were too old.

heights good
25th Jan 2005, 17:14
wasaloadie im trying to work out who you are, it was not too long ago that i left shawbury. Anyway the main concern for me is if i take a commission and fail flying training do i have to take a(heaven forbid) ground branch?

Its a big risk to take, walking out on a job i love and get paid well for doing.

crossbow
25th Jan 2005, 18:31
if i take a commission and fail flying training do i have to take a(heaven forbid) ground branch?

No, No, No. If you take a commission and then fail flying training you will be in the same boat as everyone else who fails flying training. I.E youre out fella ! Just because you used to be in the Service doesn't qualify you to remain in the service should the big chop arrive. It happened to a buddy of mine who failed and was more or less booted out straight away.

heights good
25th Jan 2005, 18:40
well thats it decided then im staying put once i speak to my poster and find out the gen for certain, just to put a spanner in the works to your argument crossbow, i know a pilot who failed on the OCF and is now doing a ground trade. Think it must depend why they failed?