PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts!

trustmaster01
25th Jan 2005, 07:12
G’Day Everyone!

Just would like your thoughts on a query of my circumstances.

I’m 33, have about 1800hrs and have been out of the industry for some years and considering entering back in, with the intention of airline ops, if all goes well. At the moment no job and will need to get current e.t.c.

Looking through prune for the last week or so both sounds to me quite a lot is happening in turns of movements, progression e.t.c. but sounding as volatile as ever if not more.

Basically I would like to ask for your thoughts on weather i have left it a bit late (due age) to consider getting back into the industry. Understandably will need to start a couple of steps back.

I’m sure some might mention this pilot shortage that I have been hearing for the past 10 years and to some respects I see it to be true, but as always there is a lot of hot air that gets passed around.

Any info, or personal experiences, that could enlighten me and provide me with a different perspective would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Capt Claret
25th Jan 2005, 09:03
trustmaster01,

Although a grey-haired old fogie I can still remember being a young sprightly 33 year old. I would have had similar hours as you (late starter @26) and have never regretted persevering.

Sadly paying for an endosement is fast becoming the industry standard. Whilst I don't like it you may have to be pragmatic enough to accept it depending on which operator/s you apply to, and ignore the urgings of others to say no, so as to protect their positions, as no one will show any solidarity and not apply for a job so that you can have it.

I've heard anecdotal stories of several folk re-entering the industry after a hiatus, most have been stories of success.

Good luck, it's a great way to make a living, and 20 years on, I still consider I'm paid to have a good time. :ok:

edit for spelling persevering wrong :eek:

AerocatS2A
25th Jan 2005, 09:30
A friend of mine recently got a start with Air NZ aged 40+ so you are definitely not too old. How you get there is up to you I guess.

A/F Armed
25th Jan 2005, 13:04
At 33 and 1800 hrs you can get a job with REX. They will take on F/Os with low time. By low time I mean less than you would expect. Anything is possible, just don't take no for an answer. I like to think that with age comes maturity and experience. Go for it. Get out there and start flying. GA companies are losing people all the time to Regionals. You've got 1500+ hrs more than most guys applying for the GA positions.:ok:

AllInGoodTime
26th Jan 2005, 06:21
Golly with 1800hrs and 33, why not apply for Qantas. Thier min hrs is 500hrs command, if you have that and your ATPL subjects you must be as good a chance as anyone else. Give it a crack. I am in my 30's with the min 500 hrs, just waiting to dot a few more i's and cross a few more t's then I am applying.

Good Luck and PM if you want to compare experiences.

Hugh Jarse
26th Jan 2005, 07:02
You make no mention whether you have passes in the ATPL subjects. That in itself is a significant factor as to whether you would get an interview.

AllInGoodTime
26th Jan 2005, 07:37
No I don't, I am finishing them off presently. But once I have them, don't see why I don't have as a good a chance as anyone else.

trustmaster01
26th Jan 2005, 07:54
G'Day All!

Yes I do have an ATPL Licence.

My biggest concern I guess is were I would get that initial job to get me back into the industry, and how long it may take e.t.c.

The other factor as it has been some years since I last flown, approx five! How would they consider that absence, and wether the 1800hrs of experience would be so relevant, after so many years.

From the responses so far age doesn’t seem to matter as much as it used to, not with all these movements going on it seems.

Thanks again

Hugh Jarse
26th Jan 2005, 17:32
T01, I can't speak for anyone else, but if you apply to airlines within the QF group you will have to do a sim ride. That knocks a lot of people out. Most applicants are current, but some are not. Personally, I would not attempt the sim ride without at least being current. If you can't get current (or current enough), PAY for some time in the 767-300 with an instructor.

The person doing the sim ride has no idea on your experience or currency. That is to keep the playing field level.

Therefore, you only have to work out how to explain at interview why you haven't been flying. The significance of your employment status in the industry is largely dependent on the company's needs.

Good luck.

GoGirl
29th Jan 2005, 08:30
'jarse raises a very good point, and one you'd foolish to ignore as being insignificant.

You will probably have a plausable reason for being out of the game for years, but the employer will ultimately question your committment to the profession.

All the best
GG

DeltaSix
29th Jan 2005, 08:53
T01

I was in the same position as you. I was away due to financial reasons for 4 years. I only got back in a year ago when I turned 38 with only 1200 hours.

Coming back was the best decision I made, now after a year of flying the duchess and chieftains I finally landed a turbine job.

If you look at my age and total hours, I was in a worse state than you.

I probably wont make it to the airlines flying jets now because of my age but at least my love for flying is fulfilled.

You only fail when you quit and as the saying goes " A Quitter never wins "........ so keep at it mate.

By the way Hugh J -- who can I get in touch about that paid sim ride ?....... thanks

D6
:ok:

enicalyth
30th Jan 2005, 18:15
Bottums? Can't spell persevere??

No wine glass?

Gennelmen that ain't Claret, so who izzee?

Anyway old as you may be, sir, who asks at the age of 33... press on regardless.

CC, that wasn't you, now was it?

Capt Claret
30th Jan 2005, 19:11
@rse-about-Tassie-tiger

:confused: