PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation Regulations

Melchett01
24th Jan 2005, 22:44
Anyone have any idea what the regs are regarding singly officers' accommodation?

Am trying to move into the Mess on my new unit but have been told there is no space. Fair enough, but on asking about surplus MQs or finding my own gaff and MOD paying - as a few of my mates have done when in the same boat at other units, I was told that we don't do that here and you can go into transit accomm until a room comes up. But they have no idea how long it will take for a room to come up and what I do with all my kit in the meantime is upto me. Serves me right for having more than the regulation suitcase, squash racquet and set of golf clubs!

But what I want to know - and what PSF / the accommodation office and the Mess at my current and future units have no idea about is (funny old thing), are there any regs on this? Or does lumping me in some squalid box room with mould the other side of the airfield fulfill the RAF's obligation to house me? Or do they have to provide suitable accommodation appropriate to your rank? I'm not a snob, and have lived in some real ****ty places in the name of going on ops, but hey, I thought we had some standards when at home - even for JOs!

Cheers for the help guys - never thought I'd find myself living in a basher outside the Sqn!!!

BEagle
24th Jan 2005, 22:55
What?? Surely they can't be that short of accomodation in this day and age? Or are the local house prices so high that no-one can afford to live out wherever it is you're posted.

Back in 1976, whilst struggling vainly with the hell of the Bucc OCU, I was forced to exist in a tiny little room in an Orlit hut at Honington - with all my wordly possessions and one 13 amp socket plus a washbasin. I'm told that prison cells were bigger... The same happened at Chivenor 4 years later - but at least that was Heaven in Devon!

But FF's sake, that was over 25 bloody years ago! Things cannot possibly be as bad nowadays, can they?

Melchett01
24th Jan 2005, 23:08
Beags Old Boy,

Without naming names and places to protect the guilty - me, it would appear so. Said new unit does have new accommodation, but it's currently chocka and I could be waiting upto 2 years for a room according to the Mess.

So yep - things are still sh*t, and it's another nail in the air farce's coffin. This was going to be my make or break tour - do I stay or go, decision to be made depending how things went over the next couple of years. Not a great start!

hyd3failure
24th Jan 2005, 23:18
Melchett - Check yr PMs

Melchett01
24th Jan 2005, 23:25
Cheers hyd3 sounds just the ticket.