PDA

View Full Version : Changing Domicile

iahtexan747400
24th Jan 2005, 20:38
I have a question.
Lets say I was hired into the freight division and served my 3 years in the USA. I know I can request to be changed to the pax division. If that is approved, then I can switch to a pax domicile.
The question is then, can I request another domicle move to lets say SYD, AUS on the pax side?
I understand CX only helps with HKG moves so a move to SYD would totally fall on my shoulders? Thanks for any input.

404 Titan
25th Jan 2005, 01:46
You must have the right to live in Australia. If you don't then no you can't get a base there.

iahtexan747400
25th Jan 2005, 03:12
How may I "get the right" to live in Australia?

404 Titan
25th Jan 2005, 03:28
iahtexan747400

You need to apply to immigrate to Australia. If you need further details you need to contact the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs. Cathay won’t help you with this.

iahtexan747400
25th Jan 2005, 03:38
I understand that I would have to apply and get my visa/immigration/right to work/live in OZ. My question is after that is complete, can I bid for the SYD domicile?
Thank you for the info.

BlueEagle
25th Jan 2005, 04:03
Had quite a lot to do with Australian immigration and as there are currently 14,000 professional pilots not employed full time in aviation in Australia the one category they don't need is 'pilot'!!!
If you have close family connections then the rules are different again.
If you want to immigrate here without family connections you will have to have a trade, calling of profession that is on their 'most wanted' list.

Suggest you start your search here (http://www.immi.gov.au/)

iahtexan747400
25th Jan 2005, 14:31
thank you for pointing me in the right direction. i did not know the gov't can discriminate on profession vs blood lines. Guess i always can visit....:rolleyes:

Medwin
26th Jan 2005, 18:07
Australian girlfriend eh?

cavortingcheetah
29th Jan 2005, 09:55
:) IahTexan.
Be a little careful with the distinction between domicile and residence, at least for tax purposes. I think that you will find that such a distinctionary concept is unknown in the USA. As I understand it, a country of residence is where you live and work. Domicile is a state of being, usually acquired at birth or through where your father was permanently living at that time. This concept is very, very, important in England and thus perhaps in Australia. In the UK you can be resident here but not domiciled. If such were the case you would then only be liable for UK income tax on any income, which was earned outside the UK, remitted to the UK. Australia may well have the same set up, given the number of Poms living there. In any event, if you are a US citizen; I believe that the IRS will want to tax you on your worldwide income, subject to any taxation treaty which might exist between the US and Australia. You would end up paying the higher rate anyway-of course. Thus, if the Australian income tax rate were higher than the US rate then the Aussie Revenue would give you credit for tax paid in the US before leviing their own, always presuming of course, that such a treaty does exist between the two countries. If it does not, I suppose that you could be liable for full whack in both places.
You might want to check out any double taxation treaty between US/Australia and also that country's domicile/residence setup, if any.
In the real world, I suspect that if you put your head down no one will notice, but I do know that you do want to mess with the IRS. Look what it did to Capone.:ok:

Very sorry about that last post. It should have read that you do NOT want to mess with the IRS:ooh: