PDA

View Full Version : What do pilots do when they're not flying?

Jessie Blue
22nd Jan 2005, 10:36
Hi, I'm a pilot wannabe! But I hv a question for those certified pilots out there. What do you guys do when you're not flying? I don't mean in terms of personal leisure, but for work. For example, do you plan flights? Union? Management?

The reason I'm asking is because I actually hv an MBA, and am wondering how I can apply my MBA knowledge IF I do become a pilot one day. Can anyone advise? Thanks a million!

David
Singapore

Rhodie
22nd Jan 2005, 11:55
A guy walks into the bar carrying a shotgun in one hand, a bucket of **** in the other, and with a cat sitting on his shoulder. He walks up to the bar and orders a drink. The bartender proceeds to pour the man a drink. With that the man throws back his drink, cocks his shotgun, blows away the bucket of ****, which scares the cat off his shoulder, and finally chases the cat out of the bar never to return.
Five days later the man returns; a shotgun in one hand, a bucket of **** in the other, and a cat upon his shoulder. He proceeds to walk up to the bar and orders himself a drink. The bartender, obviously annoyed at having to spend several hours cleaning up all the **** from the man's last visit, interrupted bitterly, "What the hell do you want?"
"I'd like a drink", responded the man.
"No way, not after your last escapade", snapped the bartender.
"But bartender, I'm in training", replied the man.
"Training! Training for what?", questioned the bartender.
"I'm training to be an airline pilot", responded the man.
"An airplane pilot?", questioned the bartender, "How do you figure?"
"Well", added the man, "I go on a trip, I do a little drinking, I shoot a little ****, I chase a little pussy, and then I take five days off!"

Sorry..... :E :E

Empty Cruise
22nd Jan 2005, 12:55
Well, Jessie...

If you consider the way this industry works, having an MBA might not make your life as an airline pilot happier :} Certainly, you will be able to identify areas where a difference could be made, just without having the means to rectify the problem.

Beside flying, I only do training (since that is my profession) - but know guys & gals who are HT (head of training), CP (chief pilot) FC (fleet chief) and so forth. Having been CP myself (and luckily escaped that position :) ), I can see how an MBA could help in these positions, but in certain small-to-medium carriers, having an MBA would almost guarantee you'd never get any of these positions, since this would in some cases mean that you would out-qualify your immediate superior.

I don't know if you see a certain pattern in this description :{ :} :rolleyes: :p

Anyway, best of luck with it - just think twice before stating your MBA on your application ;)

Brgds fm Empty

brain fade
22nd Jan 2005, 13:52
Jessie
The answer to your question is, absolutely nothing. :D
It's the best bit of the job. You show up, fly, then go home.

Good luck!:ok:

ps. I agree. keep quiet about your MBA;)

The Greaser
22nd Jan 2005, 14:09
We choose to be pilots so we don't have to sit in offices and deal with management BS.

Jerricho
22nd Jan 2005, 15:13
Some of them hang out in Jet Blast.

Jinkster
23rd Jan 2005, 09:36
Rhodie,

Old ones are the best!

:ok:

Echo Zulu Yankee
25th Jan 2005, 13:02
Well....

When they let you go home from work I think sleep probably. Apart from that I can't really think of much. What were you trying to get at? Do you mean in the crew room prior to departure? 's all pilot stuff mate, those MBA's will get you nothing but trouble!

EzY

Phileas Fogg
25th Jan 2005, 13:58
What do you guys do when you're not flying?

They talk about flying!

Echo Zulu Yankee
26th Jan 2005, 12:38
Im afraid the other half doesnt quite allow that. If there are any pilots that have found ways to slip it into conversation without getting the silent treatment please let me know!

EzY

AerocatS2A
27th Jan 2005, 13:11
As others have alluded to, unless you have some kind of management/training position within the company then any time not spent flying is leisure/stand-by time. It is one of the good things about the job in general, you turn up, fly the flight, and go home.

Teddy Robinson
27th Jan 2005, 19:18
We study for MBA's so we can get out of aviation !:E

FLCH
28th Jan 2005, 15:28
Argue with the wife.....