PDA

View Full Version : Seaplane Accident Sydney

rearviewmirror
20th Jan 2005, 07:59
Does anyone have any information on the Seaplane which has flipped in Rose Bay this afternoon?

disco_air
20th Jan 2005, 12:29
Just the facts.....

Gusty conditions on Thursday resulted in a wing drop on take off. This was not able to be corrected by full rudder and aileron input.

Wing tip struck water and consequently flipped the aircraft, carrying 3 pax and the pilot. All escaped with minor injury and taken ashore by the seaplane base rescue boat.

Expect salvage in the next day or so.

....and thats the way it was.

....Disco

almostahovva
22nd Jan 2005, 02:45
:uhoh: Saw the remains being pulled out yesterday (21st Jan). Extensive wing and prop damage. Looks like and expensive rebuilt next and who knows how much insurance increase. Pity.

Cherydelishus
22nd Jan 2005, 09:57
Is it true that there was a recent flip of a seaplane on take off at Rose Bay Sydney just days ago?
which of the companies was it? Seaplane Safaris, Sydney Harbour Seaplanes, SeaWing, or Sydney by Seaplane?
I heard that they got out Ok - is this true?
What actually happened?

It was probably Seaplane Safaris Knowing that lot?

Glad to have gotten out..........Warning - don\'t take a job with them. :E

hobie
22nd Jan 2005, 11:03
Looks like it did happen .... Pilot and three passengers all ok .... no photo's but a bit of info from AAP ....

Seaplane flips in Sydney Harbour
January 21, 2005 - 8:04AM

Strong winds have caused a seaplane to flip over as it attempted to take off in Sydney Harbour.

The pilot of the seaplane was trying to take off from Rose Bay, in the city's east, when a strong gust of wind caused a wing to dip about 5.40pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Another gust of wind caused the wing to touch the water and the plane flipped over, police said.

The pilot and three passengers all escaped from the plane uninjured.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau was investigating the incident.

- AAP

:ok:

7gcbc
22nd Jan 2005, 11:42
Quote:

It was probably Seaplane Safaris Knowing that lot?

Buddy, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but an strong gust in the wrong place, or a severe backing/veering wind can catch you unawares, if you want to shoot a few hundred landings in rose bay with all the yachtie owners and all those little winds picking your wing up then fine, otherwise it can happen to anyone.

really, you're sounding like channel 7 9 or 10, the operator is academic, it actually does not matter.

c'mon!!! less of the schaudenfreud or what ever its called.
<I see 1st post - competition perhaps ?>

pilotbear
22nd Jan 2005, 15:42
I quite agree, having also flown in the mountains of southern BC, Canada, winds can catch u out.
Also idiots in speedboats trying to race and then cutting across you to impress their girlfriend doesn't help. (that actually happened more than once in Seattle harbour):{

Super Cecil
23rd Jan 2005, 22:29
Was the Aircraft a Beaver, if so what rego?

Kuntarjo
24th Jan 2005, 02:44
Its a pity that such small minded fools want to try and discredit professionals. It is but for the grace of God!

It was not Seaplane Safaris who had the accident. Seaplane Safaris together with SeaWings have without question the the most expereinced, professional and skilled aviators of the highest integrity on the harbour.

Malicious comments from an immature, highly probable non-aviator is not clever but a reflection of his / their own low character and highly questionable commercial integrity. If per chance it was a fellow pilot who tried to malign the good name of other professionals to bolster his their own company's business then wake up to yourself and consider getting into another profession as your days in aviation are surely limited.

Its about time that the malicious and calculated damage that is constantly orchestrated by newcomers / outsiders and amateurs comes to a halt. Only one organization's management seems to fit this bill.

One simply needs to ask: Which company with its principal officer over the past two years has only one aircraft left, has gone through more than a dozen staff including three Chief Pilots, has changed office on four occassions (evicted twice), has changed its name twice and has been in and out of court on numerous occassions for matters ranging from theft to assault? It speaks for itself!

drshmoo
24th Jan 2005, 04:09
Cherydelishus,its seems that you have very little insight into the true dangers regarding floatplane activities. From what I understand, from working in a company which did float ops and having several close friends and acquaintences who are lucky enough to fly foats all around Aust, they can be very tricky especially in places like Sydney Harbour. The landscape of the harbour in conjunction with the winds and associated terrain would make low flying ops very difficult indeed. Cherydelishus, you are extremely short sighted. And mate as they say Ignorance is bliss, then you would be in a spa with 40 playmates at the Carlton United Brewry. Wake up to yourself.
Kuntarjo - with what you wrote you are just as bad.

Play nicely, you are doing some of the best flying in the most beautiful harbour in the world, good luck to all the flaoties in this great harbour
Shmoo-reformed floatplane lover

disco_air
26th Jan 2005, 06:11
You sound well informed, Kuntarjo - cant even get the company name right. Its Seawing :bored:

rearviewmirror
27th Jan 2005, 06:10
This is only a rumour, but didn't the very professional people at Safaris recently lose a court case over mistreatment of staff??

VRB03KT CAVOK
27th Jan 2005, 06:24
So who's a/c was it?

prop-wash
1st Feb 2005, 20:40
If it was indeed Seawing Air, then the aircraft was probably VH-SWB. I have worked with the operator in Darwin, and had the privilege of flying with him on a few occasions. A very courteous and professional operator.

Starts with P
2nd Feb 2005, 08:09
Definately was no SWB. He was still flying in and out of BK after the accident.

Binoculars
2nd Feb 2005, 10:42
The posts by cherydelishus, kuntarjo and rearviewmirror on this thread typify everything that's wrong with GA in Australia, and together comprise yet another perfect example of why Dunnunda has such trouble gaining credibility as a forum despite the best efforts of the moderators.

Ferchrissakes wake up to yourselves and stop willy waving. :mad:

TurboOtter
3rd Feb 2005, 03:41
So Cheryl why are you so bitter about one little float company? Did they fire you?

I heard their standards have improved dramitically since getting rid of some deadwood.

For your info I heard that Seawing was at BK, Safaris had cancelled due weather. And two pilots with SHS got stuck in PLM due weather.

The pilot got caught out with a bit of bad luck, I still think he is one of the top pilots on floats in AUS, unlike some wannabe land lubbing, mother huggin, Union lovin,IFR guys that have forgotten how to fly a buzz box by the stick and rudder(Or never could int he first place).

You want dodgy outfits, stay tuned for some cross seaplanes coming to an ALA near you soon! (Maybe you could apply there)

Just my two cents worth:cool:

sling load
14th Apr 2005, 10:49
Whats happened with this, anyone know?

VH-TEACH
22nd Apr 2005, 02:02
Glad to hear it wasnt the operator of VH-SWB- he is a very hard worker, bust his gut to help anyone, like a few social beers and is a nice bloke !:E

jokova
22nd Apr 2005, 02:34
If you put this registration in your s/e search engine you'll see ATSB are sitting on the file, and that, in my opinion is because they are woefully understaffed. Unless the wreckage is scattered across the landscape and hounds are baying they may be years thinking up explanations. Not always the correct ones either - witness Whyalla Airways, witness Perth- Burketown B200, and as a corollary all the agony, hell, **** and derision the next of kin endure before the coronor's.