PDA

View Full Version : Roulettes collide - no-one seriously hurt

Jackonicko
21st Jan 2005, 12:29
ITV News just showed a video clip of two Roulettes PC-9s colliding during a formation loop. One aircraft seemed to go into a spiral dive or incipient spin (and one worried for the pilot at that height) while the other seemed to dive almost vertically into the ground. The camera followed the latter aircraft, and we saw the chute come down quite close to the pillar of black smoke. Remarkably, the first aircraft landed safely.

No-one seriously hurt, thank goodness, though one worries for the poor bloke hugged by Marge Crank. (She's not going to be Kylie, with a name like that, I fear....)

JN

News.com.au say:

"Pilots survive mid-air collision
January 21, 2005

TWO RAAF aerobatic pilots escaped serious injury today when their aircraft collided in mid-air over eastern Victoria – one crashing in flames.
The two aircraft from the elite formation aerobatic display team, the Roulettes, collided this morning near the East Sale RAAF base during a training flight, a spokesman for Acting Prime Minister John Anderson said.

Both pilots survived, one ejecting to safety as his plane crashed and the other landing his aircraft safely, Mr Anderson's spokesman said.

The crashed aircraft was destroyed but missed all civilian property, the spokesman said.

A Rural Ambulance Victoria spokesman said one of the pilots was taken by road to Sale Hospital with minor injuries.

Mr Anderson said he was relieved both pilots had escaped serious injury and there had been no damage to personal property.

"The enormously relieving thing is that these people who are obviously valuable in their own right, but who have brought so much pleasure to so many Australians with their spectacular displays, are okay," Mr Anderson told Sky News.

Marge Crank, of Cobains, near Sale, 200 km east of Melbourne, watched as one of the two Pilatus PC9/A training aircraft came down on her farm.

"The Roulettes were doing their routine, their practice routine, and one of them just came down in one of the paddocks," Ms Crank told radio station 3AW.

"I heard the bang and saw it crash and just the flames. I haven't got a clue what happened.

"The pilot's okay. I was so glad to see him coming (down with his) parachute.

"I ran through the paddock to the pilot and gave him a hug because I was so pleased to see that he was OK."

Ms Crank said the pilot, who came down about 100 metres from the wreckage, apologised to her for crashing.

"(He said) 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry', and he said he was okay."

It's believed the Roulettes were training for an Australia Day display and Mr Anderson said he hoped the crash would not hamper their schedule.

But he added: "The main thing is that everyone's alive".

Country Fire Authority (CFA) Gippsland regional manager Ian Symons said the crashed plane came down on farmland next to the East Sale RAAF base.

"There has been some contact between two planes and one did crash and catch fire," Mr Symons said.

"The pilot of that aircraft ejected safely."

The Department of Defence said it was seeking further information."

ppf
21st Jan 2005, 14:56
Found this, the only news story with the actual video. Lucky boys glad they both got out!

http://www.abc.net.au/gippsland/news/200501/s1286268.htm

ppf ;)

airborne_artist
21st Jan 2005, 15:06
Also being discussed on pprunes rumours/news and D&G reporting points forums (or should that be fora, for the gramatically pedantic?)

Magoodotcom
24th Jan 2005, 09:00
Department of Defence Media Mail List
------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPA 036/05 Monday, 24 January 2005

Roulettes Update

The Royal Australian Air Force Roulettes aerial display team will be appearing in a number of aerial displays in the coming days as part of Australia Day celebrations.

Four PC-9 aircraft will participate in the displays that have been
specifically planned and rehearsed for the Australia Day activities in Canberra and Sydney and were part of the scheduled program of events for the team. The Roulettes will return to their full flying program as soon as possible.

The pilots involved in Friday's mid-air collision of two RAAF Roulette PC-9 aircraft, Flight Lieutenant (FLTLT) Mark Ellis and Flight Lieutenant (FLTLT) Roland Morscheck have been cleared to return to normal flying instructional duties.

Chief of Air Force, Air Marshal Houston has spoken to both the Officers and is very impressed by the professionalism and courage they have both displayed throughout the ordeal. He has acknowledged the need now for them to now be allowed to move forward.

"Both Flight Lieutenant Morscheck and Flight Lieutenant Ellis are safe and are doing well. It is important now that we give them both some time to continue their recovery peacefully and return to their duties when they are ready to do so.

"They are both very passionate pilots and enjoy their jobs immensely and I know they are eager to return to the air when they are able," Air Marshal Houston said.

"Now what we must do is let the investigation run its course. There is nothing further that we can say at this time and further details will not be known until the investigation is complete."

Air Marshal Houston has extended his thanks to those people on the ground that assisted after the accident and to everyone that has lent a hand over the last few days.

"The care and concern that has been shown for FLTLT Ellis and FLTLT Morscheck has been outstanding and I would like to thank the East Sale and Gippsland community for all their help and support."

:ok:

Magoo

Gainesy
24th Jan 2005, 09:45
"I ran through the paddock to the pilot and gave him a hug because I was so pleased to see that he was OK."

Very nice. Over here, most members of the public would be phoning a lawyer.

( And a big hug from the lady would probably fix any back problems from banging out).