PDA

View Full Version : Was it an ASTOR Global Express?

tyne
21st Jan 2005, 09:59
Seen today - not by me - on the A 68 near Halton in Northumberland. UK 0930ish. Described as an "executive jet" and very low (mil height.) heading South West.

I'm guessing it was transiting Otterburn to Speydaddam.

Possibly a Global Express with ASTOR?

Anyoe know?

Cheers

Dan

Maverick Laddie
21st Jan 2005, 14:31
The only reference I know of between Global express and the word ASTOR is the long awaited and over budgeted ASTOR project To you the Canberra PR9 replacement long in the planning, late in the Delivery, and as stated well over Budget.
The only MOD procurement that comes close to beating the Tornado,s record for delays and over pricing.
One delay I understand was the insistance on carrying the Hughes camera ex U2 1960 tech, " What do you mean it won't fit through the door cut a whole in the side like we did with the Canberra, What do you mean you can't because its pressurised whats pressurised anyway !!!!!!!
If the plane was there look for a big truck its part of the package gives the generals actual time data of the battle field. bit like the US Global Hawk but 100 times more expensive.

Fried_Chicken
21st Jan 2005, 17:15
Exec jet, possibly mil - my guess would be a RAF Hs125 (Dominie)

Fried Chicken

Oshkosh George
21st Jan 2005, 17:33
I do know that at least one of the Globexs have been delivered to Chester(I think) quite some time ago(could even be as long as a year),and could well now be role equipped, and on flight trials.

If I'm giving away National secrets here,I'm only repeating what I seem to remember reading!

10 DME ARC
21st Jan 2005, 18:04
Not much requirement for the Gobex's to do any low level stuff, when the RAF get them, sooooo my money is on a Dom.

Lots and lots of CWL's check the gap daily!!
:)

Fried_Chicken
21st Jan 2005, 19:50
I understand that at least 3 (or is it 4? as they have a total of 5 to be delivered) BD700s are at Hawarden having their systems fitted & checked. The original machine (serial ZJ690 c/n 9107) should still be in the States undergoing flight testing.

Fried Chicken

chiglet
21st Jan 2005, 20:38
Could be a Falcon 20 [based at Tees-Side]
watp,iktch

PPRuNe Radar
21st Jan 2005, 21:32
FRA low flying ?? Never seen it myself

;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/atco10w/Flying/falcon9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/atco10w/Flying/falcon14.jpg

Regie Mental
27th Jan 2005, 09:36
ASTOR, is not a replacement for the Canberra PR.9, it's role is completely different and more akin to that of a J-STARS. The likely replacement for the Canberra is a UAV.

Torquelink
31st Jan 2005, 15:26
Maverick,

Nimrod AEW, Eurofighter Typhoon and Nimrod again. Just three projects which I think you will find knock ASTOR into the proverbial cocked hat when it comes to delays and cost overruns!:D