PDA

View Full Version : Black/Asian Aircrew

flash8
20th Jan 2005, 14:17
In the UK are there many Aircrew of Asian/Black Descent?

I have a friend (Asian) whom wishes to join... he is naturally curious... cheers

Arty
20th Jan 2005, 14:31
Yes there are some, but not many.

Ask him why he thinks his ethnic background or skin colour will make any difference. It is his ability as a pilot that he will be judged on.

BEagle
20th Jan 2005, 14:35
Have a look at www.mod.uk and read the various links.

Whilst neither creed nor colour are a factor, there are certain nationality requirements to meet. From http://www.rafcareers.com/thebigpicture/eligibility.cfm :

"Diversity:

The Royal Air Force values every individual's unique contribution irrespective of race, ethnic origin, religion, gender sexual orientation or social background.

Your application will be rejected if you are, or have been, a member or supporter of, or associated with, any group or organisation whose purpose includes incitement to racial hatred and violence.

All branches and trades are open to both men and women, except the branch and trade of RAF Regiment, which is not available to women.

Nationality:

For most RAF jobs, you must have been a citizen of the UK, the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland – or holder of dual British/other nationality – since birth.

For security reasons there are extra nationality requirements for some jobs. These requirements may change to reflect the international situation. You will find details of specific nationality requirements in each relevant job file.

For a few branches and trades, the nationality of your parents is also important. In exceptional circumstances, it is possible that some individuals who do not meet these requirements exactly could still be considered for service."

Llademos
20th Jan 2005, 14:44
I know of at least one black pilot, ex Rock, with no toes!

Top fellow, did a few weeks at UAS to check he could operate the toe brakes (honest!)

airborne_artist
20th Jan 2005, 15:10
I think skin colour is the last thing on anyone's mind in the services.

An example:

The British Army recruited about 250 lads from Fiji in the 60s (an era not known for equal opps) - 15-20 years later it became clear that 3 times as many of them (proportionately) had reached WO1/2 as "white" guys. An equally unexpected proportion of them passed selection into the Hereford unit known for its moustaches, as did a friend of mine with a West Indian mum and a white dad, but looks as though he's from India. He made WO1 in the regt.

Dan Winterland
20th Jan 2005, 15:27
And not forgetting the West Indian Harrier pilot who made Gp Capt at least, and possibly higher. He was my Flt Cdr at FTS and his favourite joke went along the lines of.......

Q: "Whats white and 12 inches long?"

A: "Nothing!"

heights good
20th Jan 2005, 17:38
There was a well known Puma and Chinook crewman who was black (coloured, brown or whatever the
PC word for the week is) who got to the dizzy heights of MALM.

bluetail
20th Jan 2005, 17:48
And there,s loads on the Kipper Fleet, at least one AE Op who got commisioned, (Bloody good footy player too)

An ex OC Ops as well.

And I agree the only question that should be asked, "Can he /she do the job"

BT

Jackonicko
20th Jan 2005, 18:42
The Jag Force had (have?) a pilot of Asian/Indian descent who always seemed like a top bloke, too. Even if he drove a D reg car.....

Whipping Boy's SATCO
20th Jan 2005, 18:53
Dan, he's a one-star now.

FOMere2eternity
20th Jan 2005, 19:32
Quote:

"The Royal Air Force values every individual's unique contribution..."

...is the bit that is inaccurate, otherwise the RAF is surprisingly (for an institution) intolerant of racism at shop floor level, let alone senior officer's soundbites and enforced training schemes.

In fact, the RAF is racist in that it over-emphasises recruitment from ethnic minorities, using teams of patronising 'role models' who cost proportionally more* than teams at a 'normal' recruitment drive.

(*cherry picking ethnic personnel from across the country)

I do take issue with the service's misleading claim to value every individual's unique contribution - this is a lie, a punchline and, frankly spin. Whoever you are - and I believe the 'working RAF' see it as exactly that - you join, cost money and then leave, often bitterly disappointed.

gareth herts
20th Jan 2005, 20:44
Civvie here but thought those that didn't know might be interested to know that Robert Prest was one of the first (I believe) black pilots in the RAF. Ian Black told me in a letter what his original idea was for the title of the book that became "F4 Phantom - A Pilot's Story" - most amusing!

Anyone know what he's doing now?

Gareth