PDA

View Full Version : Auckland and the A380

Daqqy152
20th Jan 2005, 06:44
Question for all those who know a little more than me........

AK is extending the runway width for the A380 operations.
What happens for the alternate airfeild if Christchurch does not do the runway mods, does the aircraft have to head back across the ditch to Sydney?

Or does it risk losing two engines landing at Oheaka or Christchurch with the two outboard engines sucking up all the junk on the side of the runway?

Ultralights
20th Jan 2005, 07:02
you would just shut down 1 and 4 on finals! not only saving the engines from FOD! but also saving fuel! which means saving $$ and a big bonus!

Speeds high
20th Jan 2005, 19:23
As far as im aware ChCh is already to rock with the A380, Auckland is the one lagging behind. The runway is not being extended but as far as im aware only widened.

haughtney1
20th Jan 2005, 23:07
Just a thought out of left field.....and forgive me as its been 5 yrs or so since I was in NZ flying...and knowing everything about everything :)

Isnt the A380 designed to fit into existing..or almost existing taxi way..runway infrastructure?....I thought the only issue was PCN(NZ and ICAO) and as such a 560,000kg a/c required strengthened runways....rather than ones widened.

If I'm wrong on this.....no problem...just thought I heard different.

Cheers

H:ok:

Lodown
20th Jan 2005, 23:16
As far as I know (which isn't much) there are a whole range of infrastructure considerations. Runway side clearance splays have to be considered for the higher tail surface (than a 74) of a 380 on a taxiway. Many gates are designed for the 74. The extra wingspan of the 380 will intrude on the gates next door. Airlines still want a 45 minute turnaround. So the fuel will have to be pumped faster (bigger pumps, larger ground tanks, bigger reserves, etc.), a greater number of bags and people will have to be procesed in the same time, a greater quantity of sewerage will have to be removed and a larger amount of food and water will have to be loaded.

haughtney1
20th Jan 2005, 23:39
Yep its a big bird alrighty...........