PDA

View Full Version : What's a Wildcat strike

Jacamar
20th Jan 2005, 01:15
Strike at Pearson International airport by Air Canada baggage handlers over

1 hour, 1 minute ago Business - Canadian Press

TORONTO (CP) - Wildcat strike at Pearson International airport by Air Canada baggage handlers over, workers going back to work, union spokesman says.

HowlingWind
20th Jan 2005, 01:28
Wildcat strike pretty much means a walkout, generally unexpected if a strike hadn't been threatened previously. It's been a while since one had to deal with the labour side of the biz, but that's my best recollection...

Rollingthunder
20th Jan 2005, 01:30
A wildcat strike is one without all the silly formalities - such being without a contract, not voting for strike action and not being authorized by union leadership.

A lot of very ticked off pax in Toronto and elsewhere as all departing and arriving flights were cancelled.

Apparently was initiated by some disciplinary action taken because worker(s) were time clocking out collegues.

Carnage Matey!
20th Jan 2005, 01:34
Surely you mean not being officially authorized by the union. ;)

BAs ground staff are the past masters at this.

Koyo
20th Jan 2005, 02:41
I wonder how the union and Air Canada is going to do to those did the wildcat strike. The local radio in Vancouver reported that it was due to Air Canada discipling some employees. I thought they weren't too happy about the latest rounds of lay offs.

North Shore
20th Jan 2005, 04:27
Wildcatting is when the members of a union illegally walk off the job with no warning.

In this case it appears that some of the bag-chuckers at AC were getting their friends to clock them out of work later than their actual finish time (thus either collecting overtime, or going home early.) Management got wise to the scheme, and installed cameras, catching people in the act. Punishments were handed down, and the workers walked off in solidarity with the punished. Result: major delays, and pissed-off pax. Unbelievable, considering their company just got out of bankruptcy protection..

reynoldsno1
20th Jan 2005, 07:40
I did this for my mate at a pork pie factory in 1967 - I got fired. I didn't complain 'cos I knew what I was doing - fair cop and all that. And I thought Canucks were soooo polite....

Helli-Gurl
20th Jan 2005, 07:40
BA ground staff may be past masters at this as we've all probably been forced to experience at times, but the French wrote the Manual when it comes to this touchy subject

:)

x

Tan
20th Jan 2005, 10:59
Just a little insider feedback:

QUOTE." However, if all your work is done and in order to satisfy the "shift requirement", you have to stand around the punch clock for 20-30 minutes, waiting for those minutes to pass by ... what exactly are you stealing?"

I don't think the issue is 20-30 mins. It's the ones with "buddy" who punches them in or out half a DAY early...my spouse see's it everyday, guys leaving after 4 hours, or showing up 4 hours late...thanks to "buddy".

No, he's not management, he's IAM.

I hope that all of them get fired and that includes the incredibly stupid corrupt IAM ..The IAM gives a bad name to unionism.

Global Pilot
20th Jan 2005, 12:31
Oxford Dictionary: "Wilcat-adj. 1:[of a strike]sudden and unoffical. 2:commercially unsound and risky.

Prehaps they workers involved should understand both meanings of the word. Unions may not always appear to act in the best interest of their members but they are the people the company deal with and their bargining power is dimished by wildcat action.

I understand the desird effect of this kind of action is to catch the company unawares and prevent it from being able to make alternative arrangements so as to minimise disruption during offical strike action.

Wildcat action, while it may have the inital desired effect, is a risky business and should be entered into with extreme caution.

airship
20th Jan 2005, 13:20
Wildcats, strikes & employers (def.)...

Situations where employers wished their employees wouldn't strike at all. But rather, as wildcats do, find themselves a suitable place (the edge of a road next to a gutter is to be recommended), from which to make their voices heard. Or any other dark and dingy place, the less-frequented, the better. In a prone or foetal position does not matter either. If you're a wildcat... :sad: :confused:

c150driver
20th Jan 2005, 14:27
...and I thought a bird strike was bad....imagine the damage to an engine if it sucked in a wildcat!

PaperTiger
20th Jan 2005, 15:57
I wonder what the union and Air Canada is going to do to those did the wildcat strike.Nothing. Nothing at all :mad:

And I thought Canucks were soooo polite....The natives are. A lot of union members are ****ish or ****ian though ;)

I am Birddog
21st Jan 2005, 21:31
What's a Wildcat strike

It's 'striking' back 6 of these in 5 minutes.

http://www.okliquor.ca/online/Beer/921650.jpg