PDA

View Full Version : Residential ATPL courses for Mil pilots

dogstar2
19th Jan 2005, 20:13
Probably going to make the big jump. Does anyone know of any residential courses for doing ATPL? Currently 2400hours Fast Jet. If not which is the best distance learning package? Any real shockers to be avoided?

dogstar2
20th Jan 2005, 20:10
Thank you for that info. What are the criteria that people use to choose a school? Is there anyone I should really avoid? Does Oxford measure up well?

Finally, (questions questions) are there any people out there who have done the ATPL with the 2000 hour exemptions? Was it a piece of cake, or is there still a significant workload to juggle?

Hueymeister
20th Jan 2005, 22:10
Read Beag's stuff/LASORS...then clarify here.

MrBernoulli
21st Jan 2005, 03:34
Although its been a while since I did my license I can thoroughly recommend Bristol GS, now at Cheddar. Very good at getting through to the important stuff needed to pass the exam. All the RAF pilots I know who have used a school/long-distance package have used Bristol GS.

BEagle
21st Jan 2005, 07:25
I've never heard anything but praise for Alex and Baz at Bristol Ground School!

Dogstar, when you wrote:
"Finally, (questions questions) are there any people out there who have done the ATPL with the 2000 hour exemptions? Was it a piece of cake, or is there still a significant workload to juggle?"

From what background? I obtained my ATPL through the 2000+ accreditation rather than having my R/BCPL reissued for SEP FI work. As I met the accreditation criteria in full, all I had to do was to upgrade my CAA Class 2 medical to Class 1, arrange for a CAA Training Standards Inspector to come on an MCT trip to qualify for a VC10/IR rating, fill out the form and pay the dosh. As I'd already passed Air Law and had also completed the JAR 'assimilation of knowledge' requirements, I didn't need to take Air law again as I had been using my professional licence continuously for 10 years and had maintained its validity throughout.

If you're from a FJ background, 5 instead of 14 exams is obviously a lot easier - but speak to BGS for more information AFTER you've had a good read of LASORS 2005!

Soiled Glove
21st Jan 2005, 07:53
Dogstar 2,

I know of a couple of FJ pilots who did the 'military bridging package' with Bristol. They did it on a CD based self study package and then did the final 5 exams - now holders of ATPLs. In my experience, the worst exam was the Air Law - huge question base to ask from and very few decent books from which to study from. I used Bristol and they were very ameniable - couldn't make one session so they let me join a weekend refresher - of course Alex et al are business men, so offer enough of the hard cash and they will see you right.

SG

PS the best bit about Bristol was ogling the 'dead heat in the zeppelin race' during coffee breaks!

dogstar2
21st Jan 2005, 20:38
Beagle,

I am from a Fast Jet background and have never really though about this malarkey before. It sounds as though Bristol GS gets most of the votes.

I signed up for the Enhanced Learning Credit Scheme last year. Will that be of any use to me? Also does the resettlement scheme apply for studying for ATPLs. If so what is the best way of doing this.

Cheers

NoseGunner
21st Jan 2005, 20:45
I (and probably quite a few others) am in the same situation as dogstar2. I know plenty that did the old system - but none that have done the new. Any help would be much appreciated.

:cool:

BEagle
21st Jan 2005, 20:46
dogstar2 - suggest you contact whatever the Education Section is called these days and talk to the resettlement bods.

ELCs etc should be available to you if there's a registered Training Provider able to provide JAR-FCL theoretical training and/or the IR and MCC training you will need.

Talk to Alex at Bristol Groundschool!

moggiee
21st Jan 2005, 22:18
The ELCAS website lists the approved providers - including ourselves. (modesty forbids naming my employer)

Quinn
22nd Jan 2005, 23:23
How much does it cost?

Quinn

dogstar2
23rd Jan 2005, 10:29
Quinn,

I have seen a price for the Mil Bridging package for just under £600. I am still researching prices for the cse for the 5 exemption exams (or indeed if this is included in the bridging package - my information is all a bit sketchy at the moment). Anyone else been down this path yet?

I have also heard a rumour or two that Cathay may not accept the ATPL gained with exemptions from the RAF as the Hong Kong CAA wants to see evidence of all exam passes. Can anyone confirm this?

BEagle
23rd Jan 2005, 17:07
Yes - I've heard that the dinosaurs of Hong Kong say that they want the precise marks obtained in the JAR-FCL exams before they will issue whatever licence it is that Cathay and Dragon require - despite the fact that you hold a valid ICAO-compliant JAR-FCL licence..

So if you've been credited with those exams, it's obviously impossible to provide such information.

Someone needs to take such inept pen pushers to a court to insist that they accept a valid JAR-FCL licence.

MrBernoulli
12th Feb 2005, 08:44
dogstar2

To add to BEagles comment, the last two Cathay ads for pilots in Flight International (both in 2004) were absolutely clear - no ATPLs with military exemptions. It would appear that this does refer to the Hong Kong CAA requiring evidence of ALL ATPL exam passes.