PDA

View Full Version : borrowing squadron mascots

maxmcbain
19th Jan 2005, 19:30
Is it just me or is the past-time of stealing other Sqn mascots on the increase? Anyone seen a fox recently?!?

What current frontline Sqns still have an actual physical mascot?

BEagle
19th Jan 2005, 19:32
Does a bit of the Tirpitz count?

The RAF's premier AAR squadron used to have a fairly large lion in the nearby Cotswold Wildlife Park as its 'live' mascot. Anyone foolhardy enough to attempt to steal him would have to be very brave - or very stupid!

maxmcbain
19th Jan 2005, 19:34
Yes but that is in safe hands in a museum !!!!!
Isn't it?

Bo Nalls
19th Jan 2005, 19:36
14 have a python :}

maxmcbain
19th Jan 2005, 19:41
Has anyone ever borrowed him?
I hear there is a black lab touring the Gulf at the moment! Is this true?
Does anyone have any stories of stolen mascots being taken for a sight see around the world?
HAS ANYONE SEEN A FOX?

foldingwings
19th Jan 2005, 20:52
Max,

Check your squadron albums for Foxy! When you were Leading the Field with Vulcans, the fox escaped made it to the runway and was instantly 2-D'd by a squadron Vulcan on take-off.

Have you got (lost) another one?

Goat anyone? The 17 Sqn goat exploded back in the 90s at Bruggen. It got that "goats don't like fresh cut grass problem" that can be cured if you have a vet available to plunge a sharp vent into its stomach! Sorry, couldn't find one quickly enough - made a bloody mess of the revetment!

Roland Pulfrew
20th Jan 2005, 08:09
101 borrowed the 14 python during Engadine and took it flying! Unfortunately it escaped from the box during take-off on the lead ac......Oh how we laughed (from the safety of the second ac;) )

Lee Jung
20th Jan 2005, 09:01
My MRS works in a helo IPT and had her desk top mascot dog c/s 'Lucky' stolen. So far she has had phots of him from:

Marseille & Toulouse (Eurocopter)
Falklands
Basra
Brunei

A source of morale in an otherwise very depressed IPT in which one aircraft is shortly to be with drawn from service and the other is looking very likely for the chop. Perhaps Lucky will get a nice redundancy package.

BEagle
20th Jan 2005, 09:04
Hope that he doesn't go to Korea........

Lee Jung
20th Jan 2005, 09:13
Korea....Eventually, but to get enough air miles I believe he has to go to Iran and Syria first......

chippy63
20th Jan 2005, 14:14
I think BEagle is referring to the culinary arrangements in Korea....

According to local lore- a dog is not just for Christmas; if carved carefully, will last through to New Year.

Lee Jung
20th Jan 2005, 14:29
Not much meat on this dog, just a skin and stuffing.

Eric Aldrovandi
20th Jan 2005, 15:46
Anyone interested in a fox roast? We have one that is surplus to requirements - the damn snake just won't eat it. I think it's almost 90 years old but it should still taste good. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Gainesy
20th Jan 2005, 15:52
Yes but that is in safe hands in a museum !!!!!

Possibly. :suspect:
Possibly not.:suspect:

maxmcbain
20th Jan 2005, 16:57
Eric

Thank goodness it is a milk drinking Sqn that has the Fox!
Knew you wouldn't find anything imaginative to do with it.

Sticks is spitting feathers.

Hope the Sqn gets it back in time for the big celebrations!?

I think it is time to trade and you might be interested in what i got!!!!!!

Don't keep me in suspenders

Max

Eric Aldrovandi
20th Jan 2005, 17:14
Unless you've got a Burmese rock python (which I very much doubt) I'm not giving up the fox. Possession is 9/10 of the law so soz, better luck next time...

maxmcbain
20th Jan 2005, 20:23
you have just upped the ante Eric and i strongly suggest that you do not leave your stinkin leathery ars:mad: unattended as we are coming for you!

Just remember who is top of the food chain.........

Foxy

Eric Aldrovandi
20th Jan 2005, 22:43
WWW Whatever... Here's the man himself having a tasty little snack: www.mccarthyboas.com/AfricanRockPythonEating.JPG (http://www.mccarthyboas.com/AfricanRockPythonEating.JPG)

Still think you're at the top of the food chain???

Beeayeate
21st Jan 2005, 00:21
Eric Aldrovandi

Any relation to Fred Aldrovandi? Fred was a slippery, and very thin, member of 88Sqn in Germany when they flew Canberras. :E ;)

CJS
23rd Jan 2005, 22:05
Folding Wings.

Good try. Never let the truth get in the way of a good rumour. In answer to your comments about McGinty, the 17(F) Sqn goat, you are correct in your details of how he died. He had indeed been eating freshly cut wet grass, causing it to expand in his stomach. I believe cows also occasionally suffer from the same problem. These details were all confirmed by the vet when the autopsy was carried out (at the request of OC 17). There is also absolutely no truth in the rumour that he had been with the groundcrew at a beer call the night before. However, contrary to your comments, he did not explode and there certainly was no mess all over the revetment. The reason why I appear to know so much about this is that I was the one who found him and organise getting him to the Vet. Not a very nice way to spend your bank holiday weekend.

To you all

As far as current mascots go, I am now on 14 Sqn, who can proudly boast the finest mascot of any sqn in the RAF, the 14 ft Burmese Rock Python. He has combat experience and time across the border. How many mascots can boast that. Sponsoring a lion in a wildlife park doesn't even come close. If anyone can boast a finer mascot, I'd be interested in hearing about it. By the way, a stuffed fox in a glass display case or a plastic black labrador with only 3 legs doesn't count. Read and Weep guys.

Flatiron
24th Jan 2005, 14:14
When I was at Wyton, 58 Sqn had an owl mascot. Big, mean beast with eyes wide shut. In comes 43 Sqn on detachment, with mascot under the secondary duty responsibility of 'OIC Cock'. That evening, some wag put the owl in with the fighting cock. Next morning we all looked in the pen and there was the big, mean owl, stilll eyes wide shut, surrounded by nothing more than a mass of feathers. All of which would be very non-PC today.

allan907
24th Jan 2005, 14:54
Reminds me of a signal which I still have in my personal memorabilia:

P R 271250Z JAN 92
SIC HCL/KIL/OBY
617 SQN WOPULD LIKE TO INFORM ALL INTERESTED ADDRESSEES THAT THE TIRPITZ BULKHEAD REMAINS FIRMLY ATTACHED TO THE CREWROOM OF ITS RIGHTFUL OWNERS. HOWEVER, 9 SQN SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED FOR CAUSING MORE DAMAGE TO THE BULKHEAD ON THIS RAID THAN THEY DID ON 12 NOV 1943, PROBABLY BECAUSE THIS TIME THE TARGET COULD NOT SHOOT BACK.
FOR OC 9 SQN FROM 0C 617 SQN. ALL EXISTING DAMAGE BILLS ARE NOW NULL AND VOID. BE ADVISED THAT ANY FUTURE DAMAGE BILLS, FOR UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPTS, WILL BE CHARGEABLE.
BT

And that little lot was sent to Strikelist Alpha, Supplists Charlie 2 and 3 and HQ RAFG!

Meeeeow!

Ivor Fynn
24th Jan 2005, 15:21
Yep I was a part of that last raid,

The reason we didn't get it out was the yards of Stainless Steel and angle Iron welded on the back and then sunk into about 1000Kgs of HAS concrete. We wanted to go back on the saturday night and finish the job (all we needed was a sengar saw) but we thought it might have been discovered during the day - Bugger. It was still great friday night out trashing the crewroom and nailing the door shut from the inside - Happy Days!!

The plan had been to take it in to Bruggens Burns Night on the saturday as the guest of honour.

Ivor:{ :{ :{

foldingwings
24th Jan 2005, 16:08
CJS,

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story! I was there too and I prefer my ending albeit completely fabricated.

ACW418
24th Jan 2005, 20:46
Who has that bit of the Tirpitz these days. I used to stare at it on QRA - I think I did anyway!

Gainesy
25th Jan 2005, 05:23
The fake one is in the museum at Hendon, I understand.:suspect: