PDA

View Full Version : WinXP/SP2 power down WIHIH?

VnV2178B
19th Jan 2005, 13:38
Help chaps,

Daughter of friend has appealed to me for assistance so I want to spread the blame...

She reports : using Serif Drawplus on an AMD machine with WinXP and service pack two when she attempts to open a tool icon the machine powers down. This does not happen with all the tool selections but is repeatable.

Anyone got any ideas as to where to start bug hunting as I have been volunteered to sort this out!?!

I guess that's my penance for putting SP2 on in the first place.

I realise there is not much information here but I won't get hands-on experience for myself until tonight or maybe even tomorrow so any pointers would be welcome.

regards

VnV

Evo
19th Jan 2005, 14:28
Not much help, but I have seen something like this happen before, with Microsoft Money 2003 running on XP/Home - loading a certain datafile (which, I assume, had become corrupt) would cause the machine to do an instant soft reset. On Win2k it would blue-screen instead. All other datafiles were fine. Never seen the usually-reliable XP do anything like it.

I never worked out what was happening. I tried opening the same file in Money 2004 (I must have been bored) and that just popped up an error message, so I guess there was some bug in Money '03 that got the OS in such a mix-up that it died in sympathy. It's possible - but a complete guess - that something similar could be happening here. As to where to start, I have no idea. Talk to Serif?

E-Liam
19th Jan 2005, 19:07
Hi VnV,

have you got the latest updates (http://www.serif.com/downloads.asp) for drawplus. They may have included a fix for the problem.

Cheers

Liam