PDA

View Full Version : F/A-22 questions

jwcook
19th Jan 2005, 02:59
Just a couple of quick questions.

1, what went wrong with Raptor 4014, FCS has been suggested by USAF Gen Jumper.

2. Anyone who been to Edwards AFB confirm the Raptor pilots still carry mobile phones as backups for when the software crashes (which takes out comms).

Cheers

hyd3failure
19th Jan 2005, 06:50
Not sure if the Raptor crew carry mobile phones for when the comms crash but certainly most Rotary wing aircrew I know carry them.

The good ole Mobile has saved my skin many times.

Pontius Navigator
19th Jan 2005, 07:01
F3 that went down in Scotland a few years ago, pilot phoned his wife before we knew he had crashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jwcook
19th Jan 2005, 07:44
Just how high has anyone used a mobile phone?, I know its quite high!!. but how high has anyone _proved_ it.

scroggs
19th Jan 2005, 08:06
It was great in the old days of analogue mobiles (still common in the US) - you could use them at just about any height, and the fact that the handset was detected by more than one cell often meant that the telco's software was confused, and thus the call was free! In these days of almost ubiqitous digital mobiles (outside the US), the systems are cleverer and shorter range; handsets will rarely work above a couple of hundred feet up unless you are in a part of the world with very few cells. I have once received a text message at FL374 over Russia on a current Sony Ericsson T610 - woke me up!

Navaleye
21st Jan 2005, 09:21
In the 9-11 attack, many passengers on the a/c involved were able to call home on their cell phones.

Off topic: were the black boxes from either aircraft ever recovered?