PDA

View Full Version : Typhoons internal fuel

jwcook
19th Jan 2005, 00:14
Hi All

Quick question, how much fuel does the Typhoon lose in the twinseat configuration, (due to the forward tank being removed for the second seat.
4996 kg is a total figure I got! but for which aircraft? twin seater or single??.

Cheers

Pontius Navigator
19th Jan 2005, 07:03
Did you mean the Lightning <g>?

Yeah, I heard the beast is fuel critical on take-off just like that other Warton sports plane.

jindabyne
19th Jan 2005, 10:32
PN

If you submitted your post when sober, I would imagine that you'd be at the top of Michael Howard's civil service chop list - but then you're probably as safe as houses.

ZH875
19th Jan 2005, 17:14
Typhoon shouldn't lose any fuel in either configuration. Unless somebody built a fuel leak into the basic design.

Tarnished
19th Jan 2005, 18:19
JW - see your PMs

PN - what a load of twaddle

ZH - there is written into the specification a concession for the twin seater which should be as mission capable as the single seat with the exceptions of max mach no. and fuel capacity.

Don't let the current preponderance of twin seaters fool you, the overall buy is predominantly single seat.

T

Pontius Navigator
19th Jan 2005, 21:38
LOL, then SATCO at an secret air base in Lincolnshire must be talking cr*p.

soddim
19th Jan 2005, 22:41
I would imagine under the freedom of information act that the information sought could not be refused?

hyd3failure
20th Jan 2005, 08:18
what do you mean by Fuel critical at take off?

Does that mean it doesn't have enough top compete the mission or what?

Stitchbitch
20th Jan 2005, 09:41
what do you mean by Fuel critical at take off?

Because of the huge cost of the project no one can afford to operate the aircraft with more than a tea spoon of fuel in the tanks:E

Gainesy
20th Jan 2005, 10:04
For about 10 days in 1972, 56Sqn operated a Lightning F.3 at Akrotiri without a belly tank, now that was fuel critical.

Don't recall the actual flight times but not many of those that did it went further away than about five miles. :)

Always_broken_in_wilts
20th Jan 2005, 10:24
"LOL, then SATCO at an secret air base in Lincolnshire must be talking cr*p.'

Bit of a schoolboy error there PN:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

jindabyne
20th Jan 2005, 10:39
jwc & soddim

It's not classified at all. The fact that the two-seater loses around 300kg (from memory) has been 'cleared' and in the glossy brochures for many years