PDA

View Full Version : Gliding clubs in the south

ladyfly
18th Jan 2005, 19:02
Just wondering if anybody can recommend some good gliding schools or clubs south of the M25

any info will be much appreciated.

ladyfly

DK338
19th Jan 2005, 08:59
Ladyfly.

Sadly there are none. West Malling and Manston are long gone as ATC VGS's, however there is one now at Odiham which is the old West Malling VGS. BGA Clubs I haven't a clue and as for the RAFGSA, again zip. There is the Kestral Army gliding club at Odiham though if it's proper gliding you're after.

Try logging onto the BGA website, that should enlighten you. If it is the VGS thing you want, phone HQ Air Cadets at RAF Cranwell and ask for Gliding Liaison 1 or 2 (GL1/GL2) and they can help you with requirements and contact numbers etc.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Right here right now
19th Jan 2005, 10:56
Not technically south of the M25, but 615 VGS at Kenley is about 6 miles north of junction 6. There's a civvy site there too called Surrey Hills Gliding Club. It's quite restricted for airspace, but that only adds to the challenge!

Mach 2.2
19th Jan 2005, 11:58
615 is indeed only just North of the M25. 615vgs.com (http://www.615vgs.com) for more info.

treadigraph
19th Jan 2005, 12:15
f you are looking for civvie clubs, in Sussex you could choose between Southdown GC at Parham Park, just west of the A24 at Storrington, or another club whose name escapes me on the B2192 at Ringmer, NE of Lewes. Both are probably about 30 - 40 minutes drive from the M25 if traffic is good.

I think there are also sites in Kent at Waldershare Park near Dover and at Challock near Canterbury. (Plus of course a little place called Lasham in Hampshire!)

Flik Roll
19th Jan 2005, 15:22
Kestral is just about on it's last legs and South Down at Storrington (and quite a trek down south!) is expensive, but if you are happy to pay it has some great flying areas esp. with the Downs and soaring otherwise VGS is best bet!

tmmorris
19th Jan 2005, 16:34
I've got a cadet having gliding lessons 'privately at Halton' - presumably with a RAFGSA club there. Is there any way to cross-credit this to his cadet record of service so he doesn't have to do a gliding scholarship at a VGS to qualify for flying scholarships? (He's from an army family hence I guess the RAFGSA link.)

Tim

Bismark
19th Jan 2005, 17:22
There is a very progressive and active club at Lee-on-Solent near Gosport. It is a Royal Navy Club but has lots of civilian members and operates 7 days a week.

http://www.pngc.co.uk/

ladyfly
20th Jan 2005, 00:50
I don't mind going down to the coast if anybody can suggest anything for that area. I'd prefer military gliding clubs as I know the set up.

Thanks
ladyfly

DK338
20th Jan 2005, 08:46
Tmmorris,

The short answer to your Q is No. Although your man may be trained to BGA Solo Standard or beyond, the ACO will not recognise any of it. In fact it could work against him if he wishes to attend a VGS to complete the Gliding Scholarship as it may be seen as a waste of opportunity for someone else who has yet to learn.

If it's an attempt to get ticks in a box to apply for one of the two RAFA sponsored flying scholarships then it shouldn't really matter because he can expand on his gliding experience on the application form. I believe I am correct in saying that as long as you are a member of the ATC and over 17 you can apply for a RAFA flying scholarship irrespective of whether you have attended a VGS for a GS course.

FYI have have flown in both environments for many years (23 in fact) and will without hesitation recommend the RAFGSA route everytime. While the VGS system is a fantastic opportunity for most people, the standard of flying and instruction is extremely rudimentary, but then it needs to be as really it is no more than a sausage machine.

For a far classier standard of instruction and progression then the GSA has no equal. Furthermore there are opportunities to progress within the BGA syllabus and get involved with everything that gliding has to offer and by that I mean cross country, aerobatics and competitions (and get to fly some really nice aircraft). In addition to this by flying at a GSA Club your lad will be interracting with serving personnel (aircrew and groundcrew alike) and be inbued with a far higher set of standards both in flying but also airmanship. In contrast the VGS offers very little except the chance to start up the instructor ladder quite early on, however as alluded to earlier the standard of actual flying, navigation, airmanship et al is actually quite poor.

tmmorris
20th Jan 2005, 11:21
Thanks DK338, that's what I'd suspected. The actual quote in ACP22 (CCF staff instructions - we're CCF) is

a cadet must... Have achieved a gliding solo standard (silver wings). Exceptionally, cadets who have completed a non-solo (blue wings) course or who have not completed a gliding scholarship may be considered; the latter to take account of the deserving cadet who, for example, is a member of a remote squadron from which it is difficult to regularly attend a Volunteer Gliding School. Such Section cadets must, however, have demonstrated in some other way their flying potential.

The mention of 'squadron' here suggests to me that this is lifted directly from the ATC equivalent (though they have substituted Section later on in the quote). I guess that BGA solo standard would constitue 'demonstrating their flying potential', however!

Anyone from the Halton club here? If so, could they PM me to discuss specifics?

Thanks,

Tim

Flik Roll
20th Jan 2005, 12:27
Which scholarship is the cadet applying for flying wise? RAFA, GAPAN, Air League or an ATC funded AEF or Civvy one?

tmmorris
20th Jan 2005, 13:34
He's planning to apply for ACPS (Air Cadet Pilot Scheme) which is RAF funded and provides 10-12 hours of either microlight/group A (intended to be to first solo) or AEF (not to solo) training (the AEF version is very much the poor relation and I have advised him to go for the NPPL version).

The bit I quoted is from the requirements for that.

I will, of course, also point him at RAFA/GAPAN/Air League scholarships. He's currently 16.

Tim

Flik Roll
20th Jan 2005, 14:04
he should be ok - worth getting him to apply for a GS anyway; he will save them hours and be a quick 6 hour solo anyway if he has soloed before - possibly could also become a staff cadet.
Just tick GS solo and write about the BGA, shouldn't be a problem! I know for RAFA it isn't a requirement to have a solo.

DK338
20th Jan 2005, 14:39
Not sure that the ACO will allow your boy to apply for a GS if he has already Solo'd. There is precendent on this and I have seen it applied first hand. The rationale being, as I said earlier, that it would be viewed as taking a place from a cadet who has yet to learn. Ultimately it's an integrity thing, own up and be damed or apply anyway and sod 'em.

As for becoming a staff cadet, you do not have to have been through the VGS system to become a member of staff on a school, the final decision usually rests with the VGS OC. If he feels that an individual will have a positive contribution to his outfit then he is at liberty to recruit them. All it requires is for Bloggs to have the front to ask.

You will no doubt be aware that as far as gliding is concerned, I am not the biggest fan of the VGS set up for anybody who want's to learn to fly/glide properly. The standard of instruction is fine for circuit bashing and flying by numbers within a tightly confined area but if that's all he desires then fine crack on. Stay with the GSA and learn properly, the skills developed in that environment will stand him in far better sted.

Flik Roll
20th Jan 2005, 14:47
There are people in the ACO who have had a previous solo before applying to do a GS. I don't see why it should stop them from doing a GS! If there are spaces going and the kid wants to do one...then why not!

DK338
20th Jan 2005, 15:54
Couldn't agree more. However, the people you refer to did their BGA solos when? You might find attitudes different these days but a discrete inquiry can' t hurt and yes if there are places he should have one as long as he is prepared to fly by rote.

ACW418
25th Jan 2005, 18:50
No-one seems to have mentioned Upavon. There is 622 VGS there and also the Army Gliding Association Wyvern Club.

Upavon is acknowledged as a very good soaring site with little controlled airspace restrictions to bother it - there are some though before the nit pickers get to work. Come and see us any weekend. Strictly the Wyvern are only supposed to take non-military members who bring some special skill etc. You do not mention if you are already military.

Send me an e-mail and I will give you all the details if you wish. I am a member of both organisations.

For tmmorris

There is no reason why a CCF cadet should be excluded from a Gliding Scholarship course just because he has previously gone solo.

At 622 VGS we have solo\'ed cadets who have a PPL before coming to us.

Send me an e-mail if you want further details.

tmmorris
27th Jan 2005, 09:24
Thanks all - yes, I've had an assurance from On High that there is nothing stopping him getting a GS if he's already soloed, and also that he will be a perfectly good candidate for ACPS if he has civilian gliding or flying experience rather than having done a GS.

So no problem either way.

Tim

Nimbus265
4th Feb 2005, 17:29
As the Secretary of the Army Gliding Association, I would of course like to champion the clubs at both Odiham and Upavon. Kestrel (at Odiham) far being from on it's last legs does only fly at weekends; Wyvern (at Upavon) flys on Wed pm, Sat/Sun/Bank holidyas etc. Both clubs run abinitio courses, and if you have a service background are keen to take on new members. The ab-initio sceme at Upavon is particualy good value for money. E-mail me if you want more details.