PDA

View Full Version : AVG gone sticky

Tone
18th Jan 2005, 18:07
I thought I would look at the free version of AVG on a spare machine, installed OK but everything runs very slow, typically 5 minutes to boot up. Not very happy so attemped to uninstall but it will not let me, comes up with an 'Ununstall failed' message (tried several times). Over to the AVG website only to find that they do not offer technical support for the free version and the FAQ page is not helpful.

Anyone seen this problem before?

I need some wag to tell me that I have to upgrade to the purchased version before I can uninstall it.

It's a fine thing when an anti-virus program become a virus in it's own right.

maxell
18th Jan 2005, 18:43
Found This (http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?1,11835,page=2,backpage=2) it might help

Max

nwaflygirl
18th Jan 2005, 18:49
Did this before myself. AVG is (from what I remember) in itself a spyware/adware/virus. To get rid of it use regedit. First make sure, it is not currently running on your system. Open Task Manager. Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Go to running processes. If currently running use "Stop process". Close Task Manager. Click start button. Go to Run. Type regedit. When it opens, find Grisoft. Right click and delete. reboot. Good Luck

Keef
18th Jan 2005, 19:57
I don't think so. I've been running AVG for a long time, and it's done a good job of trapping incoming nasties. It got eight on Saturday morning - all apparently inserted by Java while I was browsing.

Must avoid those pix sites ;)

rotorcraig
18th Jan 2005, 20:05
I agree. I use AVG on my PC and several that I maintain for others, and it is very effective with no problems.

A good bit of free software!

RC

bughunta
19th Jan 2005, 10:30
I've used AVG free version for years, and installed it on several other machines without problems. Never heard it being described as such, are you sure?

Have you tried to uninstall it through the Control Panel->Add/Remove programs route?

I do agree that this years 'new' free version seems a tad slower than the last one (test takes forever) but boot up isn't much different for me.

Best free AV software around as far as I'm concerned...

bug

E-Liam
19th Jan 2005, 18:49
Hi Tone,

AVG is a good bit of kit, and is definitely not a virus itself. If it's causing big problems at bootup, then it's quite likely that you have a virus on your machine somewhere slowing the boot sector virus check? Have you got two AVs trying to both check the boot sector at the same time?

C&P coming up.. :)

Please download 'Hijack This!' from here (http://thespykiller.co.uk/hjttut.htm), unzip, and place it in it’s own folder, (not in the temp folder, or on the desktop) doubleclick HijackThis.exe, check for updates by clicking on Config | Misc. Tools | Check for Updates and follow the prompts. Once updated click on Scan. When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Cheers

Liam