PDA

View Full Version : IR Courses

1800-how'smyflying
18th Jan 2005, 01:16
I'm looking to get an IR and was all set to go to a school I won't name, but have heard it has a high fail rate. Im now looking at either Atlantic Flt Training (Coventry), Bristol or SAS Flt Training in Norway. Anybody have any good or bad experiences or any recommendations?

kissmysquirrel
18th Jan 2005, 07:26
I am led to believe that Bristol have a good pass rate. No doubt you'll get a few responses here.

Good luck

trevelyan
18th Jan 2005, 11:41
No doubt you'll get a few responses here

first one being that i think this guy is after an IR, not groundschool...

:)

dann1405
18th Jan 2005, 12:05
Hi, I don't have any experience of the places you mentioned but I'm currently doing my training with Flightpass in Exeter. The two main IR instructors are both very experienced guys. One used to train the BA cadets in WMU and the Qatar cadets after that, the other is a retired RAF fast-jet and Cathay 747 training captain. The school is owned by a current Easyjet line captain. Can recommend them very highly from personal experience. Their website is: www.flightpass.co.uk
Have heard positive feedback about Bristol but have no first-hand experience of them. Hope this helps,
Regards

Charlie Zulu
18th Jan 2005, 13:26
Trevelyan,

Kissmysquirrel probably realises that the post was asking for an IR school as not only is there a good groundschool company based in Bristol but there is also a good Commercial Flight Training Organisation called Bristol Flying Centre at Bristol Airport.

They provide CPL and IR modular training and have a very good reputation.

http://www.bfctraining.co.uk/

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Sky Wave
18th Jan 2005, 13:42
I've just completed my IR with Professional Air Training at Bournemouth (PAT). They have a very good reputation and very good pass rates. http://www.pat.uk.com/

YYZ
18th Jan 2005, 14:16
trevelyan

I believe kissmysquirrel was referring to Bristol Flying School not BGS?

orangesky
18th Jan 2005, 17:33
... just to throw my tuppence into the pot ... after much searching and thinking about what would be best for me, both financially and prefessionally, i decided on aeros down at gloucester. couldnt fault them at all, first time passes for both CPL and ME/IR, good experienced instructors, good sized fleet with their own engineering dept so no a/c tech delays, and no expensive delays at the holding point like i experienced the few times i flew to bristol, while waiting for jersey, easy to land .... worth thinking about when you are paying £5 per min in a seneca :yuk:

might be worth checking them out if you are going to be down bristol way www.aeros.co.uk

good luck where ever you choose and prepare for a lot of hard work :ok:

trevelyan
18th Jan 2005, 19:51
thanks for pointing that out guys, case of engaging my fingers prior to my brain!

Someting else ive learnt today!

Cheers again

:ok:

Sky Wave
18th Jan 2005, 22:40
as orangesky mentions delays at the holding point I guess aero's charge by the tacho. Always good to look for schools that charge take off to landing + ??% or ??mins.

Charlie Zulu
19th Jan 2005, 06:49
I see from the website for Aero's:

"Charge time is calculated as airborne time plus 10 minutes"

That is quite good as it allows you the frame of mind that you require to go methodically through your checks whilst in the Seneca at the £5/min...

carbonfibre
19th Jan 2005, 08:56
I agree with Skywave, completed my IR with PAT last year, excellent training and great staff too.

Avoid HGFC, there pass rate says it all

Have fun :ok:

RVR800
19th Jan 2005, 13:30
Is HGFC at Humberside?

African Drunk
19th Jan 2005, 23:25
orangesky

Bristol only charge airbourne time which makes it even cheaper.
Also the CAA test centre is at bristol so no charge for flying down and back for your IRT.

EGAC_Ramper
19th Jan 2005, 23:37
Going to check Bristol and Aeros out when I'm flying over to start my groundschool.But certainly encouraged reading through these forums.

Regards:ok:

orangesky
19th Jan 2005, 23:39
african drunk, i stand corrected on aeros only charging airborne plus 10 mins (i am not working on commission - honest:D )

the point i was trying to make was the decision which i arrived at was a compromise between cost, location, attention to each individual student, type of training (SEP,MEP,sim etc), opinion of previous students and "feel" of the FTO .... some of these you can only get after having visited the school, its probably going to be the most expensive purchase one makes for quite some time so its important to do your research as thoroughly as one can.

i actually found the flight down to bristol from gloucester (15mins) really useful at settling my nerves and provided me with a final opportunity to practice an ILS before the test, and get a feel for the real wind on the day .... not the forecast.

schools are as different as we all are, i know friends who had to change schools to get a better service and training :ugh: thankfully i wasnt in that situation.

mjc9967
19th Jan 2005, 23:58

Check my earlier posting (the long one) about Bristol....

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158725

...the verdict is positive by teh way for those that dont go there!

Cheers

African Drunk
21st Jan 2005, 17:54
orangesky

Totally agree everyone should visit the FTO's and talk to current students. It still amazes me how little though is put into where to go for your IR.

You must check number of a/c, student instructor ratio, pass rate, facilities, how often you train and when you are at an FTO for a visit ask the students if what you have been told is correct.

And just for the record I have worked in advanced training for 2 years and have never known of a student who left Bristol, Aeros or airways(exeter) without completing their course. I cannot say the same about most other FTO's from which I met many refugees and I think that says more than anything else about the standard.

1800-how'smyflying
23rd Jan 2005, 07:31
Thanks for all the contributions so far. I finish ATPLs in May, so have some time to ponder yet. Appricate your comments,

FougaMagister
23rd Jan 2005, 09:21
Everyone who has had good experiences of their IR will recommend the school one went to.

I did the Multi/IR with Atlantic and am happy to recommend them. While I was there (fourth quarter 2002), the first time pass rate was... 100%. Yep, that includes me! (Amazing, init!)

Good setup and facilities, modern planes (Seminole :ok: ), excellent instructors. Whatever school you decide to go for, make sure to take the time to pay them a visit beforehand. You can learn a great deal about an FTO this way.

All the best and enjoy the IR! :cool:

Nearly Man
29th Jan 2005, 00:31
BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL ROCKS, well, not the burds from there cos they all talk funny and add, 'So' in front of every word .... however, for flight training they were spot on ... sorted me out and I'm a big lady!

JB007
29th Jan 2005, 08:11
I also would recommend PAT at EGHH - fantastic bunch!

nasib
29th Jan 2005, 09:54

BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL ROCKS, well, not the burds from there cos they all talk funny and add, 'So' in front of every word .... however, for flight training they were spot on ... sorted me out and I'm a big lady!

Unquote

Oh no!!! What are you trying to tell us Nearly Man:confused: :}

Or do you mean you're " a big girls blouse"??