PDA

View Full Version : ATPL full time ground school at PGT

tinmouse
17th Jan 2005, 19:18
Hi,

I’m continuing my search for an ATPL full time ground school. It’s a job in it’s self I tell’s ya. Anyway, I’ve been looking into (PGT)“Pilot Ground Training” in Kemble. Their accommodation is in the Agricultural Collage four miles up the road, it looks quite nice. Can anyone that has been there educate me on the course itself and the Accommodation. Preferably from someone that has first hand experience.

Thanks

Tinmouse.

G-SP0T
17th Jan 2005, 19:44
PGT is a new setup. im not sure if they have had any one sit the full course as yet? (correct me if this is untrue). i my self am a little uneasy about studying with a new school who may not yet have found there feet if you now what i mean. (again correct me if you know better).

PGT
18th Jan 2005, 12:05
Tinmouse

In reply to your queries may we suggest you try the following link.
I may add that the Royal Agricultural College is not the only accomodation at our disposal

http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=1435897&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Happy Hunting

PGT

G-SP0T
18th Jan 2005, 12:43
may i ask a blunt question whilst PGT are involved in this discussion. why should a wanabe pick PGT instead of any offer school. is their anything that makes you stand out from the crowd or gives you a distinct advantage to any other school?

same question to oxford blue if he (she??) is reading. or any other school.

thanks for any info in advance.

oxford blue
18th Jan 2005, 13:12
I must emphasise that I am an employee, not a manager at OAT, and that these are my personal views, based on what I have observed, and not necessarily official OAT policy.

OAT does not get involved in issues of the rival merits of FTOs on pprune. We are not in the business of slagging off our rivals and we even let factual errors (of which there have been many recently) go uncorrected. We feel that the sort of people who are genuinely likely to become suitable airline pilot material will find out the facts for themselves by research and, best of all, by visits to their prospective schools.

However, if you post this question on the 'Forums' section of the OAT website, I am sure that it will be answered fully.

G-SP0T
18th Jan 2005, 13:27
cheers oxford blue.
i wasnt expecting any slagging off, i simply wanted to know what schools were particuly proud of and thought made themself stand out.

Alex Whittingham
18th Jan 2005, 13:33
I'll have a go.

The first thing you would might be looking for is a school that will get you through the exams. Although most schools have very good material nowadays there are one or two that will have combinations of poor feedback/poor instruction in a subject and you end up with nearly a whole class failing one of the exams. You would want to avoid places where that happens.

The second thing is probably a good learning experience. What I mean by this is there should be a good relationship between the school management, the students and the instructors. You should have the feeling that everyone is pulling together for your benefit.

Thirdly, you should have value for money. A reasonable price is about £4K, although that is pitifully low by normal commercial training standards. You can get classroom courses for as little as £2300.

Finally you would be looking for a more intangible benefit. You would want to get a broad level of background knowledge in commercial aviation that should help you when you join a company, get your first type rating and start your line training. Its difficult to put your finger on how this is imparted, it probably comes from a combination of the first two factors above. Competent, experienced instructors, who are relaxed enough in the classroom to be able to illustrate the immediately important teaching points with anecdotes and trivia.

Oxford's benefits might be considered to be their reputation, standard of instruction and course notes. PGT's instructors are either ex Oxford or ex ATA and therefore carry at least an equivalent reputation. Oxford use their own notes, PGT will use our (bristol's) material. Both schools should deliver a high standard of instruction. You will probably find that the only difference lies in your perception of the learning experience. Some might prefer Oxford's MO and the resources of a large school, others might go for the personal approach at the smaller school. You wouldn't be wildly wrong whichever one you chose.

PGT
18th Jan 2005, 15:40
G-SPOT

A blunt question indeed. I have to agree with Oxford Blue in saying that this may not be the best forum for this. But I do understand why you ask, I would have done the same I suppose.
Each school has it's pro's and con's.
I will answer your question in a different way.
Why did we start this company?
We believe we can offer something better and or different. Yes we are new, but we believe in what we are doing and we have passion. It's not easy doing what we have just had to do, i.e; leave a secure place to start afresh.

So all I ask is to talk to the schools, like Alex said, speak to someone who can answer your questions, see them face to face and in your heart you will know which one meets your needs. We are all different, as customers and providers, you just need to match the two.

Good luck G-SPOT

Steve Francis
Chief Ground Instructor

G-SP0T
18th Jan 2005, 15:46
thanks for the advice guys, i'm going to book a week off work and come have a good look round all the schools, see which one 'feels' right.

:ok: