PDA

View Full Version : US SF in Iran 'selecting' targets for Air Strikes

Razor61
17th Jan 2005, 16:23
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4180087.stm

BEagle
17th Jan 2005, 16:33
They thought they were in Iraq, but were too dim to realise they'd misread the map?

plebby 1st tourist
17th Jan 2005, 16:36
Could be interesting, if it all kicks off and our lords and masters decide that we're following the Americans on another completely unjustifiable invasion of an Arab country.

The RAF (or my little bit of it anyway) physically couldn't do this as well as all the other stuff.:{

Pilgrim101
17th Jan 2005, 17:13
Iran ain't "Arab" but I get your point. Anyway, no need to go in, the place is falling apart and they are flogging, imprisoning and executing too many of their own youngsters and women in particular for trumped up charges of heinous crimes like homosexuality, adultery, pimping, prostitution, drug smuggling and possession when the real crime is dissent or perceived sedition.

The Iranian economy is cuffed and the regime's penchant for stoning or stringing innocent kids up from crane jibs in Town Squares throughout the Country is even too much for many of their own.

Let the fundamentalists keep imposing their version of year zero on an intelligent and cultured race of people and let history take care of itself !

air pig
18th Jan 2005, 14:08
Now there's a surprise !!! Most people who watch world events could have predicted this as long ago as two years ago.

The idea of taking on Iran as well as all the other commitments, and more importantly the disgust that will be felt not just in the Arab states but around the world will be enormous.

The UK should leave this to others. Iran will probably implode one day, but that is their problem not ours !!!

Remember the pretext of WMD for the invasion of Iraq, and all the lies and subterfuge that was fed to the UK public and the world in general in an attempt at justification.

Note it will not happen this side of a UK general election.

Trust any politician, NOT in my lifetime.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

JessTheDog
18th Jan 2005, 17:07
Anyway, no need to go in, the place is falling apart and they are flogging, imprisoning and executing too many of their own youngsters and women in particular for trumped up charges of heinous crimes like homosexuality, adultery, pimping, prostitution, drug smuggling and possession when the real crime is dissent or perceived sedition.

Is this Iran or Dubya's vision of America? The punishments appear to have been trialed in Abu Ghraid

Lee Jung
18th Jan 2005, 17:56
Are they going to insert SF into Saudi Arabia, who maintains a similar approach to said crimes under Sharia?

Of course not, Saudi is such a shining example of the new middle eastern democracy isn't it.

There is no way the public will support an expedition into Iran after the lies and mis-direction of the WMD in Iraq fiasco and intervention with an aim to regime change is illegal under international law.

If you wan't to get a flavour of the Iran we never see I suggest you read The Road to Xanadu, a travel book published in the mid-80s when the regime was at its most fervent.

I truly hope we leave the US to go alone.

soddim
18th Jan 2005, 19:24
I truly hope that our elected government does everything within its power to dissuade the Americans from another disaster.

Biggus
19th Jan 2005, 10:35
Has it not occurred to anyone, that nobody - not even the mighty USA - has enough forces, especially gound troops, to commit to any further military adventures in the near future. The USA is using large numbers of reservists in Iraq now, and I have heard tales of people in America not long out of the miltary being phoned up and asking if they would like to rejoin!!!

airborne_artist
19th Jan 2005, 10:44
The risks of US SF being caught in Iran are too great, I'd have thought. Despite the fact that Iran is not a true Arab nation, the Arabs would close ranks if real evidence could prove such a claim, and that would screw any chances of getting the Palestinians on side.

They might have "locally hired" guys working for them, however.

You'd have thought that satellites could do a pretty good job, though?

Dan Winterland
19th Jan 2005, 18:24
An invasion is imposible. I fly across Iran every week. It takes 2 hours in a 747 and it looks very hilly. A few surgical strikes of the key assets is what Dubya has in mind - and we all know how effective that can be!

It's all down to your military intelligence. Sorry, I mentioned American military and intelligence together - the ultimate oxymoron!

Captain Kirk
19th Jan 2005, 20:40
Why bother with SF? Have you seen the satellite image resolution you can buy off of the web? Go to www.globexplorer.com and check out Whitehall - and that's the free stuff.

Razor61
6th Feb 2005, 23:51
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4241527.stm

Iran 'will' hit back........

16 blades
7th Feb 2005, 00:04
...with what, exactly?

Best to hit them now, before they have something they can hit back with.

Once they have it, the 'arab' world will rally around them and it will be the end for Israel.

16B

Load Toad
7th Feb 2005, 01:06
Since the military option has hardly been an outstanding success is sorting out Iraq it hardly seems to be a great idea to consider getting all military with regard Iran.
And it isn't a question of 'Iran' hitting back is it? It is a question of creating further and wider support for forces opposed to the USA and her allies - forces that rather than 'targetting' a perceived military threat would be only too willing to slaughter even more civilians.

Pilgrim101
7th Feb 2005, 05:51
Put yourself in the other man's flip flops. The degree of paranoia in the cleric's "elite" Islamic regime in Iran has never been higher.

It is good practice to keep them guessing on whether the US, or more likely Israel, will or won't go in because only the big stick will keep the dialogue with Europe open. If Iran starts rattling the sabre again as Saddam did, then it will be a stupid miscalculation. The US is quite entitled to extract payback on this clerical mafia who held the US Embassy staff hostage in 1979 in the face of international condemnation since it was then that the Iranian sponsored Islamic terror campaign began in earnest. Had the US Marines been ordered to defend the Embassy by the politicos instead of capitulating to the mob, then the US would have not been humiliated by a gaggle of zealots. This humiliation, more than anything, has led to the current situation because the Mad Mullah's regime has believed - up until recently - that the Vietnam experience and political correctness had emasculated the Americans.

They know that their export of terrorism has been rumbled and the Iranian people are highly (but of necessity very quietly) critical of the total incompetence and corruption of their so called Government.

bad livin'
7th Feb 2005, 12:20
Is anyone really surprised at all that American and probably other SF will have been carrying out CTR work recently? As for risk...that's what they're getting paid for.

Sadly I suspect that should this particular balloon go up, our involvement will be assured regardless of wider public opinion.

West Coast
7th Feb 2005, 18:41
From Beagle

"They thought they were in Iraq, but were too dim to realise they'd misread the map?"

I suspect that if this is true, that they received their nav training from the Royal Marines that left half of the Royal Navy in Iranian hands because they didn't know one side of the river from another.

hyd3failure
7th Feb 2005, 18:57
Oh deary me. Mr West coast has a grump. I think you may find that Beags was being a little light hearted, a quip, a snappy retort. I don't think he really meant to suggest that the US SF cannot read a map. We all know they can read maps as they showed us so well the last time they visited Iran.

JessTheDog
7th Feb 2005, 19:03
Sadly I suspect that should this particular balloon go up, our involvement will be assured regardless of wider public opinion.

I think that, if the UK were dragged into such an adventure by Bliar, there would be unprecedented civil unrest in this country.

West Coast
7th Feb 2005, 19:04
May I also not be light hearted towards our residing curmudgeon Beagle? He play his games, I play mine.

Load Toad
7th Feb 2005, 23:18
>Pilgrim101

A good point well made - that the fear of being attacked would be a good way to further unhinge the ruling forces in Iran.

WE Branch Fanatic
7th Feb 2005, 23:26
Meanwhile, the MARSTRIKE 05 task group heads to the region.......partly to show the flag etc. I've mentioned this in the Sea Jet (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98152) thread.

On another website, someone connected this deployment to possible trouble with Iran but..........surely not?

Razor61
8th Feb 2005, 00:20
We all know they can read maps as they showed us so well the last time they visited Iran.

:p ::ok: ;)

Meanwhile, the MARSTRIKE 05 task group heads to the region

They are sailing to Iraq to show off the goods before we sell them to provide them with a Navy.

BEagle
8th Feb 2005, 06:46
Dubya just said "Go check out that place, err, I-something."

"Hoo-ah, Sir yes SIR!" "Hup-hup-hup......."

So some ended up in Iraq, others in Iran. And some are probably wandering about wondering what to target in Iceland, Italy and Ireland. :p

And the folk in Idaho and Iowa are keeping an anxious eye open as well!

West Coast
8th Feb 2005, 17:14
Likely not, they asked the RAF for a ride, so they ended up at some airshow in the UK, or at least a few miles away from it. Promptly broke down and have been stuck there since as the crews for the other two transports in the fleet are attending some gay parade, something about riding a float...

BEagle
8th Feb 2005, 17:25
Yup - joining in as the San Franciscan consultants on the correct style of Village People arseless leather fag pants.....

crossbow
8th Feb 2005, 17:33
Beagle - Fantastic...:ok: :ok: :ok: :D :D :D

Was that quip from West Coast referring to the B1 crew that conducted a Flying display at Farnborough? Only they got the wrong airfield !!! Apologies if it wasn't a B1..

air pig
8th Feb 2005, 17:56
They have not learnt since they did an amazing display at Manchester Ringway instead of Woodford in 1978. Now even with GPS and other sundry nav equipment, people have a habit of getting lost. Remember the old adage an officer is never lost meerly temporalily unaware of their own position.

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

otterdog
8th Feb 2005, 19:17
It is surprising what can be found on what to do next in Iran. Interesting discussion on COAs, just musings or ????

www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200412/fallows (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200412/fallows)

West Coast
8th Feb 2005, 19:24
Beagle
So your a consultant post mil?

It was a B52 I believe, and did we catch some crap from the limeys over that one. I'll be damned if not a short time after that a Brit aircraft did the same thing at an airshow. The silence was deafening from the Yank bashers after that, damn those were good times. I had to troll for a while to get beagle to come out of his hole and take his abuse.

surely not
8th Feb 2005, 19:27
Is US foreign policy to get involved in as many wars as possible thereby giving them a chance of winning one of them?

West Coast
8th Feb 2005, 20:25
Say what you want. The one that counts, back in 1776 we whooped your arses.

JessTheDog
8th Feb 2005, 21:20
Say what you want. The one that counts, back in 1776 we whooped your arses.

Yeah, but we burned the President's house in the War of 1812....it had to be painted white, I recall....;)

West Coast
9th Feb 2005, 03:29
Yeah, the bill is in the mail for that one...

BEagle
9th Feb 2005, 06:14
Sent by Pony Express - until intercepted by the Red Ind...sorry, 'native Americans of color' we'd arranged to pinch the mail.