PDA

View Full Version : Today's RAF Navigators/WSO

BAW014
17th Jan 2005, 14:50
Hello,

Just a quick question with regards to being a NAV in today's RAF. What sort of life span do they have now? I'm thinking along the line's of Tornado retirement. Anyone know when that could be?

Cheers,

Alex Macdonald

Pontius Navigator
17th Jan 2005, 15:55
10 years for fast-jet?

Of course there are the Ks but they won't be arond for long either and of course there are those in the E3 Nim R1 and 4 but not more than a few dozen.

lscajp
17th Jan 2005, 21:44
you say with regard to the retirement of the tornado, you mean the F3, weŽll still have the GRŽs for a lot longer.

BEagle
17th Jan 2005, 22:16
Alex Macdonald.....

Rather an apt name for one enquiring about navigators/wheezohs, one thinks.

"Would that be regular fries, sir?"

frodo_monkey
20th Jan 2005, 15:20
Speaking as a young Tornado F3 backseater, we're currently looking at 1 or 2 tours on the jet before a transfer to the GR4 or the E3D... But 'word on the street' is that GR4 is the way to go and will see us until retirement.

BEags, not that I frequent the place regularly, but when have you ever heard a McDonalds worker use English properly?!

5 Forward 6 Back
20th Jan 2005, 15:29
Just a quick question with regards to being a NAV in today's RAF. What sort of life span do they have now?

Most probably manage about 70 years; depends on how much beer they drink :}

Bismark
20th Jan 2005, 17:08
BAW 014

Alex,

Ever considered the RN. They will need Observers for at least the next 25 years in Merlin, Future Lynx, ASaC etc. What is more they still value the breed with career opportunities right to the top. Note that you will need to apply before you are 24 as I think they are dropping the age limit from 26.