PDA

View Full Version : Jaa-atpl Or Jar/fcl-atpl?

stefair
17th Jan 2005, 14:14
Hi there,

I'm currently a fulltime Aerospace Engineering student but wish to embark on a professional flying career upon graduation.

I plan on obtaining my FAA-PPL in this summer in the US prior to going on to choosing the JAA or JAR/FCL path. My query to you is what type of ATPL do you think would be most beneficial to me for launching a successful flying career? As a German native I'd like to live in the UK at least for the next 4 years but deem to return to my home country thereafter.

To reduce costs I think a modular training course in conjunction with a distance learning course will tailor my needs just perfectly, yet I'm unsure whether to choose a flight school in Germany or the UK?

What do you think is easier to convert, the JAA-ATPL into JAR/FCL or vice versa, in particular in terms of costs?

Ultimately, can you recommend a decent flight school offering distance learning courses nearby Bristol, where there I go to College? What do you think about Oxfort Aviation Training? I've heard that facility was a great choice, however, it is not around my neighborhood!?

Thanks very much in advance for all your answers.

Best regards,
-stefair

stefair
17th Jan 2005, 15:25
Hi pressman,

Honestly, I AM confused as there are so many things to consider...

Regarding the FAA-PPL: I've been told it didn't matter whether I'm going for a JAA-PPL or FAA-PPL as the further training will take me from there anyway? Please correct me if I am wrong here! The reason for me choosing the FAA path is that I have friends, whom live nearby the flight school in California. Said that the school only offers FAA training but is situated nearby my friends' place and therefore would save me the costs of a rental car.

Regarding my living preferences: I really don't care, where I'm going to live in the next years as long as I can manage to get a foot in the door of professional flying. Consequently, I'm looking for a training that minimizes costs but at the same time increases my options.

Regarding flying in the US: The only plans I have are perhaps to be working as a flight instructor to build up hours.

To summarize your post, did I get it right that there's no difference whatsoever between a UK-ATPL and a JAA-ATPL I'd obtain at a flight school in Germany? Then why, for instance, does it say on easyjet's website that their requirement for F/Os is either a UK or a JAA-ATPL? Does this have anything to do with the implementation of JAR regulations?

Regards

ikea
18th Jan 2005, 10:23
yeah, im getting my JAA PPL In florida in Summer, and then doing JAA ATPL with bristol.gs. I then aim to do my ME-IR in the UK, because althought the cost of this is only 5,000 GBP, it costs almost 5,000GBP to convert it to JAA. SO im just going to get he JAA MEIR and CPL outright in the UK.