PDA

View Full Version : Flying Abroad - WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

scameron77
16th Jan 2005, 22:36
Dear All,

Just thought it may be an idea (basically because I'm in the position myself) to start a thread offering advice to all those who move abroad for extended periods for flight training/jobs.

I'm now in LA after deciding in mid August last year I was going to make a go of it.

Essentially here's some advice from what I've found so far:

If you have enough to put 30k into a bank account, do it with HSBC (They seem to be the aspiring pilots bank from what I've read). Ask to be upgraded to the Premier Account and then you can transfer money from the UK to any other country with a HSBC presence free of charge. Gone are the 22 quid fees.

The Premier account manager in the new country will then set you up with a current (checking in the US) account in that country without having issues of residency (as you may be in a hotel or in my case no Social Security number - bit of an issue at first in the US).

They can also advise and arrange credit cardit for your local currency. Bonus, but if you'd prefer to keep everything UK based Nationwide offer a Visa card with no commission and fees for buying goods in a currency other than Sterling.

Ideally I'd be chuffed if anyone would add to this post with any pertinent information regarding setting up in the US, but any info on Spain, NZ or some of the other favoured flying locations.

One of the questions I have at the moment:

Anyone found a US car insurer who will recognise UK a 5 year no-claims bonus. I'll probably get a few from HSBC here in LA but just want some other to compare prices.

Hopefully this thread will grow and can be used as a resource for anyone planning to visit a country for an extended or short period of time. Hopefully if a lot of the day-to-day issues are cleared up then the idea is that you can concentrate on your flying.

If you have any info at all on any issues please add them below.

Stephen