PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew wanting to join fleet Air Arm

stone2
16th Jan 2005, 21:26
Hello, im currently a junior cabin crew member working for FCA flying out of CWL. Im aiming to join the armed forces inparticular the Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm). With a view to flying. Can anyone share any information and experiences that might point me in the right direction with selection, Admiralty Interview Board etc. Any information would be fantastic, happy flying

regards stone2

Pielander
17th Jan 2005, 01:00
Excellent choice!

Are you a Trolley-Dolly or a Trolley-Dave?

In either case, your first port of call is your local Navy Careers Office. Ring 029 20726813 (Cardiff office) and make an appointment to see somebody now.

Have you done it yet?...

...Well go and do it.... Now!

I see from your profile that you are 23. Rumour has it that the Fleet Air Arm age limit for pilots is moving into line with the RAF limit this year - i.e. you need to have actually started by your 24th birthday. It can take up to about a year to get in, so you might not have much time to spare.

Assuming you're not too late, the first step (after an initial interview with your careers officer) will be aptitude tests at RAF Cranwell. You will be called up for AIB if successful.

There are lots of fairly recent threads on the subject in this forum, so you may find it useful to search for them. It's all common sense though, really. The AFCO will give you information on what is required, so just make sure you do what they tell you. Make sure you're $h!t hot at mental arithmetic for the aptitudes and then learn what they tell you to learn for AIB (e.g. what all the different types of ships/aircraft do; what the RN does; who's the Foreign Secretary; where are the trouble spots in the world etc.)

Best of luck!

Pie

welshwizard
17th Jan 2005, 08:27
The FAA is on a downward spiral at the moment and morale is taking a battering, particularly in the Merlin world. The fun factor is disappearing rapidly. Young enthusiastic blood may be the answer but only if they are encouraged by a visible and marked increase in current flying rates.

hyd3failure
17th Jan 2005, 08:34
STOP STOP STOP......What a complete and utter load of B****cks....

The FAA is on a downward spiral at the moment and morale is taking a battering

Not in somerset its not. Morale here is fine (could be better but we have just lost a crew of 4 and so are recovering from that but otherwise, things here are normal. Lots of hard work to be done but also lots of hard fun and play.

The fun factor is disappearing rapidly again....a load of B****cks..... there is plenty of fun to be had.... you have to make your own fun though. Don't expect someone to come along and open the fun locker... but there is still fun to be had.

but only if they are encouraged by a visible and marked increase in current flying rates

Here in somerset we are flying our nutz off. The hours have been increased and we are being positively encouraged to get arborne and fly...

AllTrimDoubt
17th Jan 2005, 08:43
Good man, Hyd3. Refreshing to see an upbeat attitude and some encouragement! I don't encourage papering over the cracks, but the FAA always has (and will) be synonomous (?) with flying and fun!

Fly Navy!

(Too early in the week for big words - sorry!)

airborne_artist
17th Jan 2005, 09:04
Are you a Trolley-Dolly or a Trolley-Dave?

Our gallant questioner is Welsh, so if a bloke he'd be a Trolley-Dai.

welshwizard
17th Jan 2005, 09:21
OUCH!! Apologies if I generalised regarding FAA. I do think however that our young joiners might expect to fly a stallion rather than a pony.