PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Filling Up

Compass Call
16th Jan 2005, 15:46
My hard drive seems to be filling up rather fast. This has started happening since I put Windows XP on. In the last month 1Gb has been added. I can't seem to find out what is being added or what files/folders are being added to.

I use a 10Gb 'C' drive with the OS and office etc on it and an external 120Gb drive to store data and piccies. This drive does not seem to be affected only filling up as I add to it myself. Something seems to adding on a daily basis to my 'C' drive!

I have run Spybot, Ad-aware, AVG, EWIDO Security and Trend Micro and they come up with nothing unusual.

I have Win XP - SP2, Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG and Black Ice PC Protection running on the 'C' drive.

Anybody any ideas :(

CC

SoftTop
16th Jan 2005, 16:10
XP is a bit on the greedy side.

There will be:

Restore points (there is a setting to restrict the number of these)

Temp files and folders for IE (or any other browser)

File swapping - how much is set aside for that? (if you leave that to XP, it gets outrageous) - again you can adjust that.

If you haven't told Outlook, or a few other applications (any MS office app defaults to C: ), to put their system files and user files on another drive, that will add to the daily clutter.

User settings get put there too, you can force those to another drive.

There are a load of other things that need to be managed, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Make sure that when you install programs that you always select another drive for them because the C: drive is, again, default.

If you are really starting to hurt for disk space, you need to get a utility like Partition Magic that will aloow you to increase the size of the C: driev by stealing some unused space off another drive.

I had to do that about six months ago and took my C: drive from 10GB to 20GB. It has been quite steady at about 12GB since then, even with all the stuff above tweaked for minimum C: drive use.

A bit depressing, but I hope that helps.

ST

shaky
16th Jan 2005, 17:51
Or you could try CrapCleaner, a free utility from http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.php

It does exactly what it says on the tin and removes an amazing amount of rubbish on a daily basis.