PDA

View Full Version : CPL Performance Calculations

ABO944
16th Jan 2005, 11:42
Hello all!

Cant remember the factor I need to apply to the TODR for the pre-flight planning on the CPL skills test.

Is it just 1.33 for a passenger flight?

Hope someone can jog my memory!

Thanks

ABO

flighttime2.0
16th Jan 2005, 11:58
Aob

1.33 for takeoff and 1.43 for landing

flightime

ABO944
16th Jan 2005, 12:05
Thanks Flighttime !

You da man!

ABO

Keygrip
16th Jan 2005, 14:20
1.33 for takeoff and 1.43 for landing However - not necessarily the correct answer.

Part of the CPL approval for the flight school at which you train will include the publishing of a Company Operations Manual (which mandates the Company operating rules) and CPL Training Manual (which outlines the course of instruction).

You - as an individual at that school - are required to read both, sign both and comply with both. The CPL skill test is carried out as a simulated public transport, passenger carrying, operation and MUST be flown in accordance with the Ops Manual - as will ALL flights when you join your airline or air taxi company.

That means that you must use the figures that are in the book (or be ready to explain to the CPL examiner why you are not operating in compliance with the Company manual - and then book your retest).

The UK ANGR's specified 1.33 and 1.44 for AOC holders - but JAR OPS doesn't. Your school was given the choice of which one to comply with - without reference to your school Ops Manual, nobody can answer this question for you.

ABO944
16th Jan 2005, 14:30
Hi Keygrip

Thanks for that ... better go through the schools ops manual and double check - dont want to fail before leaving the briefing room!

ABO

Keygrip
16th Jan 2005, 16:32
Ah - but now comes the tricky part. Finding somebody who knows where the manual is!!

All the schools have to write these things - from PPL through Instrument Rating and beyond (whatever they teach).

Most of them, once approved by the CAA, are then stuck on a shelf and never seen again - but the book is a wealth of information and, to a certain extent, answers the question "can I go in this weather?".

Had one candidate who had actually READ the book - I briefed him to prepare for touch and go circuits at either one of two airfields. He came back to me before we flew and stated that at one of the airfields in question the wind favoured a runway that was 4,950 feet long - but that the operations manual limited touch and go in a multi engine aircraft to runways of not less than 5,000 feet. 50 feet short.

That's where the pixie points come from (it wasn't deliberate on my behalf).

Had another guy recently tell me that he was happy to go but that the winds were forecast to be outside the maximum crosswind limit when we got back. That's where the bo*****ings come from.

ABO944
16th Jan 2005, 17:19
Thanks Keygrip!

The school seems to be quite well organised, so hopefully I can find it.

The only problem I seem to have at the mo here in Northern England is the weather, and when to decide to go for it and get up there and do the skills test!

I think I may be airing on the side of caution a little too much as im scared to get airborne and find myself battling the clouds on the navigation part!