PDA

View Full Version : Aussie pilot interested in work in Canada

turbinejunkie
15th Jan 2005, 12:33
G'day to all Canadian PPruners,

I am seriously considering making the move to your great country permanently, making progress on my immigration forms, etc. as I write this post.:)

However, I really don't know much about the Canadian employment scene at all. That will be my next big research project!:E

A bit about me:

I am an Aussie ATPL holder with around 2600 hours total, including 1100+ PIC multi, approx 1800 hours total multi and around 600 turbine hours (co-pilot Metroliner time) with 500+ hours night flight (night freight ops) with Oz Multi-engine instrument rating and medical, etc. I have a 220 odd instrument flight (IMC) hours also.

I have no jet type ratings currently, but that is something I may do (A320 or B737NG) if a good opportunity required it, but I am hoping to avoid that if I can join an outfit without the outlay.

I am mid 30's, have a missus and a little tacka. I am also Tertiary qualified (though unrelated to flying) with a degree and a few years relevant experience in that previous field (Land Surveying).

Obviously I have to convert my quals to the Canadian equivalents before I can work in Canada but I would appreciate a bit of a local heads up on where I might best try to obtain work.

Private messages are fine or just general comments welcome for the benefit of other interested readers.

I am pretty much willing to go most places but are hoping for something in a major regional centre or city (east or west of the country) where both the missus and I can work - she is an eye worker. Neither of us speak French at the moment but are willing to learn.

If you can help, my interest is mainly regionals and airlines but I am also interested in charter or executive work.

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated. I came over to your great country for a holiday a decade ago in your winter (yet to see your summer) and fell in love with it immediately.

It would be splendid to join you there.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on your job scene with this question and splashing my bio all over this site.

thanks in advance from Dunnunda - ;)

turbinejunkie :ok:

yyzdub
15th Jan 2005, 13:33
To put it simply... unless you have a residency permit, than you will find it next to impossible finding work. As I am sure you can understand and respect, Canadians will generally hire, aside from being obliged, to first consider and hire Canadians. There are a number of Ossies in Canada but I'd say most are in rotary and/ or hold a working holiday permit, eligible to those under 30.

If and when you do get your residency then I would say you still may be relatively limited, especially if you are looking for something in the city.

This page should give you an idea of the minimums for carriers and charters.

http://www.pilotcareercenter.com/JobResearchListRegions.asp?CountryID=1

There is a great deal of competition in Canada and for a new comer it may prove difficult. My advice would be to look outside the city centres, to places like Prince Edward Air (peair.com), or there is a carrier or two in BC operating the Metroliner. OTherwise head up North a bit - beautiful country and after a year or two building some more hours and making your contacts in the industry I am sure you'll be well on your way.

Best of luck.

yyzdub

ecnalubma
15th Jan 2005, 16:55
A couple of phrases come to mind.
Line forms to the left.
Take a number, now serving 100,295.
You want to do what?:confused:
We have a ramp job opening in about a year.

Not to discourage you at all but it is tough going in the industry here right now. Good luck to you.

turbinejunkie
20th Jan 2005, 01:27
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your input. Any others?

regards,

TJ.

Hockey Puck
26th Jan 2005, 13:28
Hey There,

I have been in your situation. I am a Canadian Pilot working in Australia, with and Ozzie wife.

First off, the MYTH that certain counties only hire there own pilots for jobs. I heard this as well when I moved here. Not True!

Will Write Back Later...

Hey There!

I used this avenue when I first decided to move so if you need any help?

I suggest you fully research the Canadian Aviation Industry and compare it to Australia.

I do think that your desire to move to lovely Canada will change.

HP

hibypassratio
26th Jan 2005, 15:01
It is very cpmpetetive right now. I suggest researching on the pilotinterviews.com site for who flies melins/metros. I would also suggest joining up on the Avcanada.ca site. This is the most active Canadian aviation site.

Due to the competition you may very well have to look outside of the major centres to land a decent gig, but it's not impossible to find a decent gig in the southern centres. It will just take a lot of persistance and patience. Take it from somebody who lives in Toronto after moving in from the East Coast. If you don't mind the isolation and the cold, consider going north for a few years. Depending on your wife finding work locally, you may make out quite well as you often get "isolation" pay in the northern centres.

Good luck.:ok:

ps My wife and I would consider a swap in location with you. That's swap of loacation, not swap of wives!:ooh: