PDA

View Full Version : For fun or career?

FlyinAnywayICan
15th Jan 2005, 04:06
For fun or career?

I'm seriously considering forking out a lot of my (dads(with his approval)) money on an integrated course from start to finish. I have done 16 hrs of flying a light aircraft. A pitiful sum but they have been some of the most enriching and inspiring hours of my life. Just going up and being able to reach out and touch the clouds is fantastic.

My questions are these:

1: What can i hope for when i come out the far side fresh and new? (I will get there)

2: Where are the good places with good reputations to train on an ab-initio course?

3: What sort of salary can i expect? (Working for ends meet? and then as a starter with a large airline?)

4: Will i enjoy flying for a living as much as i enjoy flying for fun?

I'm not expecting to know the answers to my questions unless i get out there and do, and i doubt anyone will be able to stop me when i get going; but what is the best way of getting going?

Thanks to anyone who reads. Bigger thanks to any replies.

FlyinAnywayICan

G-SP0T
15th Jan 2005, 11:57
Just going up and being able to reach out and touch the clouds is fantastic.

I think its about time you learn't about what u can and cant do whilst VFR.

Foz2
15th Jan 2005, 12:15
G-spot - don't be such a smart arse.

As far as integrated courses go - Oxford, Cabair, Jerez are the big three really. There are other routes to getting the licence such as the modular route (probably around 2/3s the price and you can go at your own pace). There are many more modular schools to choose from and if you could find one near where you live, you wouldnt have to fork out the huge sums for accomodation. Where are you based?

Regarding jobs at the end of your training, I believe its just luck of the draw. You could have a look at www.ppjn.com - that will give you a rough idea of what the airlines are paying.

Hope that helps

Feel free to pm me if you want.

Foz

FlyinAnywayICan
15th Jan 2005, 14:31
G-Spot: I was speaking metaphorically, i do realise that clouds are not made of cotton candy and u cant walk on them (would make them rather hard to fly through), i just meant that it feels like you can. Thanks anyway for ure post though. Always enjoy a chuckle.

Foz: Thanks for the advice and the link. I'm based at a little place called cuddington. (home) it's in cheshire so up north.

FlyinAnywayICan

birdlady
15th Jan 2005, 20:22
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen

There are so many ways to skin a cat!!!!!! Flying is great fun, however, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, there's a big difference between doing this for fun and doing it as a career. Im probably stating the obvious but with it being so expensive to get qualified and the fact that its a HUGE dedication you really need to sit down, way up the pros and cons and decide if your really cut out for it. Speak to everyone at your local flying club and us here on pprune (I promise we're not all bad) find out as much info as possible.

First of all you need a class one medical. That's the first hurdle and I would do this before you lay out any more cash. Once that's been achieved, you need to work out some financial plan and see how much money you have to play around with. If you have 60 000 GBP then I would suggest an integrated course with one of the big schools ie Oxford, Jerez etc. If you dont have this kind of cash, go somewhere like the states or S.africa for ppl and hour building then return to the Uk for CPL/Multi IR. Or just not bother with a JAA licence, come to S.Africa get the SA CPL, work here as an instructor, build up hours and return to the Uk and convert. However its not easy getting a work permit here but some places are willing to overlook this. Another way to build hours is bush flying. Not for the faint hearted but there are some companies out there that will take on low houred pilots. This is the option I've gone for and will be starting my CPl in the next couple of weeks.

Bottom Line, think long and hard, find the best route for you and stick with it.

Good luck with the flying
Ciao for now
BL;) ;) :ok:

peterpann
16th Jan 2005, 15:10
Before funding everything yourself have you tried CTC wings etc for sponsorship.

If not it's worth a try?!?!?!?.

I know Oakmere/Cuddington well, its a nice place but I think no matter which course you take whether it be int/mod you should look for the best schools that suit your needs

R T Jones
16th Jan 2005, 15:37
For someone starting out then CTC and sponsorship has got to be the best way forward. Just out of intrested how old are you? As it seems that has a bearing on what kind of options you have. Im currently still in Year 12 so im still a year from deciding my future, wether that be uni or flight school. Some advice I have seen reiterated on forum time and time again. THERE ARE NO GURANTEES WITH ANYTHING. As long as you bear that in mind and keep everything in perspective. Good luck with what you decide!

FlyinAnywayICan
16th Jan 2005, 17:44
RT Jones: I'm currently 23

Have had a look at CTC, they look pretty good. Was hoping to do my training in the UK. Thanks for all the info. :ok:

R T Jones
16th Jan 2005, 19:36
Well 23 is still a good age to apply, you;ve had a bit of experence and your not the wrong side of 30 :) I would definatly give that 110% of your effort. Its by far the best way to become an airline pilot that I have seen so far, I cant speak for other ways as I havent experenced them :). Also what I can say is if you can afford it, go intergrated, I believe OAT and Cabir do some of their training abroad. So if your really keen to do everything in the UK then modular would be the way. Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I have done quite alot of research into the subject so hope I have some kind of perspectiive.

Flypuppy
17th Jan 2005, 14:20
Find a nice comfy chair, get a mug of coffee and have a read through the Archive Reference Thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131649) or this one might be a good starting point as well (http://www.iwannabeapilot.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22)