PDA

View Full Version : Which Training School for ATPL Ground?

tinmouse
14th Jan 2005, 20:43
Hi,

I’m just about to complete my PPL and I’m planning to the ATPL full time ground school at the end of February. I’ve been looking into which training facility to go to. I’ve looked into Oxford, but the accommodation (£180 per week in the hall of residence) has a very bad reputation, terrible rooms, rood instructors and bad food. I have heard from people that have stayed in Oxford refer to the Halls of residence as “H-Block”. I hope that what I have heard is unfounded as I have also heard Excellent reports about Oxford.

I am also looking into CABAIR. It seems cheaper and the accommodation etc sounds better too. Although I’m going to visit both OXFORD and CABAIR in February I would be very grateful to hear from anyone that has attended ether of these schools and get your opinion.

Thanks in advance,

TINMOUSE. :)

EGAC_Ramper
14th Jan 2005, 20:54
Evening Timouse:O

I myself am starting at Oxford for the groundschool 28th Feb and as such am in no hurry to stay in the Halls of residence.So myself and another OAT'er will be looking into house sharing with a house already in mind so its all arranged before we get there.I would not personally want to stay in the halls as I've been told by one OAT advisor it can get noisy with the Algerian AF guys that train there!! lol :D
As for the groundschool well Oxford have been recommended numerous times and having visited them I'm quite happy in my choice.

Regards :ok:

G-SP0T
15th Jan 2005, 10:25
tinmouse, im in the same position. oxford does have a very good rep. at first glance, however i im hearing more and more 'rumours' about problems there, i should add, none of them relating to the ground training.

i my self have my heart set on studying down there because of there reputation with the airlines. but im still planning to go down there and have a good look around!

EGAC_Ramper, if you dont mind me asking how did you go abt organising ur house share do u know any of the people staying with u? and with out meaning to sound cheeky, how much do u antisipate u will be spending on living expences whilst there?

EGAC_Ramper
15th Jan 2005, 10:28
G-SPOT check your PM's

Regards:ok:

Frank Furillo
15th Jan 2005, 14:58
So full time 27 weeks at Oxford is £3995.00, personally i'd go Bristol Distance Learn £1995.00 and if you really push it you could do it in the same time, if time is such a factor.
Do a search on Bristol and you will find they have one of the best reputaions and results.
Cheaper as well, thats why I used them
FF

EGAC_Ramper
15th Jan 2005, 15:30
Granted Frank,but personal circumstances come into play,I'm not disputing Bristol's good name,if they had a full-time groundschool I'd be there!! For me personally I need the discipline of a classroom environment,slef study would not do it for me and likewise for many others.

Regards:ok:

Frank Furillo
15th Jan 2005, 15:52
Fair Comment, Good Luck

Foz2
15th Jan 2005, 17:02
Cabair is all well and good, but I think they need to rethink the course slightly. It is a very short course (19 weeks) and they try to teach you everything in that time and in my opinion it is not long enough. If they insist on having such a short course then they should concentrate on getting people through the exams (more exam practice,feedback etc) rather than teaching the subject.

I know they have to cover the learning objectives but at the end of the day we just want to pass the exams seeing as 90% of this will not ever be used again.

Having said that the instructors are good but they are trying to do too much in too short a time.

Foz

sexygirl
16th Jan 2005, 12:28
Do those numbers of 19 weeks at Cabair and 27 weeks at Oxford include the time taken for revision and exam taking , or is this just classroom time?

EGAC_Ramper
16th Jan 2005, 13:02
Hi SxyGirl,

Oxofrd I know is 22weeks of classroom time,2weeks of exam time and 3 weeks off in the middle for a break,but more likely revision/studying.:D

Regards

tinmouse
16th Jan 2005, 13:29
Hi Guys and Girls,

Thanks for all your replies. Just to reiterate if anyone has stayed at oxford, or Cab Air, can you tell me what the halls of residence accommodation is like.

Thanks in advance.

Tinmouse. :)

royalaviator
16th Jan 2005, 14:18
Hi All

Well i was ex student at oxford, mate i really dont know what to sugest, oxford for ground school is good, accomadtion is not good at all, the rooms are so small you cant even swing a cat inside, my girlfriend stayed with me once and we couldnt do anything at night coz the rooms are so small i couldnt releif my pressure valve the second day she left me for good,so i had to take things in to my own hands..hehehh..to releif the tension...but have a good look around and take care ok..RA

TenAndie
17th Jan 2005, 11:37
A little too much info there mate !!! :rolleyes:

Im hoping to start at EPTAUK, Bournemouth, at the begining of March. Its the cheapest place to do your ATPL's and the location is ideal. Heard good things about EPTAUK and when i visited everything impressed me.

Good Luck

:ok:

YYZ
17th Jan 2005, 11:46
had to take things in to my own hands

So... what's the laundry service like?:hmm:

tinmouse
17th Jan 2005, 13:03
Thanks TenAndie,

what are the options for accommodation at EPTA?

Thanks

Fly Ginger
17th Jan 2005, 17:06
EPTAUK did me proud for the groundschool, but like with anything, turn up and see what impression you get. They do keep a list of local b&b accomodation which may help.

A251
22nd Jan 2005, 18:51
i'm currently at BCFT doing my groubd school, after i completed my ppl i wennt looking at all the ground schools, the usual suspects, OAT Cabair BGS .

the best i found where CATS(Cranfield aviation training) and BCFT (Bournemouth commercial flight training) good things about PGT at kemble

i've also heard

i finally made the decision on BCFT becuase i wanted to do my flying with them,

both schools were good , casual and very friendly.
cats had very good material and cbt

bcft have got some very good instructors that explain everything in simple terms and very clearly.

the next course at bcft starts on the 7th of march , speak to dena and she'll send you some some stuff.

good luck steve

vlad-the-inhaler
25th Jan 2005, 12:14
BGS are an excellent option, couldnt believe how helpful they were, I went after attending another school with little success. Alex Whittingham et al were interesting and patient and the admin staff there couldnt do enough to help me. Its the little things like that that can really make a difference when the exams start.
PS BGS have really good CD ROM programmes that are just as good as those from Oxford (you can get the oxford stuff on Ebay or from Transair and have the best of both worlds!)

High Wing Drifter
25th Jan 2005, 12:37
BGS are distance learning only though.