PDA

View Full Version : LTN/EGGW traffic - 13/01/2005

IHF
14th Jan 2005, 16:03
Hi there - first post so apologies if I breach forum eitquette.

I live near Luton airport under the downwind leg for the approach to 26. Last night about 22:20 I noticed a plane approaching in the opposite direction and a moment later happened to look out the other way to see a plane on the usual downwind approach. The planes passed extremely close.

From the ground perspective (which I know it’s easy to mis-judge) they seemed to pass more or less over each other and with less vertical separation than I would expect. Also, abt 2 mins later a plane (I assume the same one?) flew past again in the “wrong” direction.

Whatever the actual separation it’s unusual to see planes at approx. circuit height flying in this unusual direction.

Please excuse any errors of terminology or whatever in this – am not professional (not much of a pilot either, apart from a little sailplane experience!)

W’d be interested if anyone has any insights - thx

IHF

IHF
14th Jan 2005, 16:21
Thanks G-AZUK!

U r spot on about my location. Also interested about the departing STN heavies (I'd guessed this was the stuff that - as you say - seems to be a good couple of '000 higher normally).

I'll post on to the ATC forum as you suggest.

ATB

BOBBLEHAT
15th Jan 2005, 09:59
Luton were in the middle of a runway change at this time. They had been on 08 some of the evening and went around to 26 about the time you saw this. What you probably saw was the last departure from 08 passing the first inbound to 26.

IHF
15th Jan 2005, 12:54
Aha - that could explain it.

Normally 08 deps with LH turn are higher by the time they reach overhead (or stay closer to LTN) but I guess switching runways can cause a few oddities in heights and routing.

Thanks for the info, Bobblehat!

ATB