PDA

View Full Version : Observer-Surveillance Australia

VH-UFO
14th Jan 2005, 13:37
I was given the below figures a few years ago for an Observer with Surveillance Australia.

Can anyone tell me if the below details have changed, are they accurate?

training - $26,000
visual ob - $29,000 + $2,600 coastwatch allowanc (I think it could be as high as $5,000 if you go to HI)
radar ob - $33,000 + allowance
mission coord - $38,000 + allowance
check trainer - $?

extras $70 a night allowance for trips away [$125 for Xmas is] (accom provided), $150 callout fee when on standby
apparently you can earn about $2,000+ extra a year in allowances

The Voice
14th Jan 2005, 20:00
UFO

Those figures I believe are out of date.

the training wage you're referring to is only due after completing the initial school phase and you are flying prior to a CTL. Once the CTL is completed then you change up to the next notch.

I believe the Vis. Obs. annual wage is in the mid 30k now after allowances are added.

Depends upon which base you're at as to the total amount of allowances, which when I was flying with them, was more than $70 back then.

all accom. is included and allowances are paid on top of that, the only difference being that if o/n at Truscott, the allowance was lower due to differing amenities/provisions for crew.

If you're on standby, you are rostered for a flight against an acft, if it flies you do to, if it doesn't you get to stay home, do whatever you want, but be available if required, ... no callout payable for that one. BUT, if you are called out when on a day off/hol's or similar, then the callout fee applies. Similarly, if you cease fulltime employment, and make yourself available on a casual basis then you are paid the callout rate per flight.

Contact Surveillance Australia directly and ask them what the current rates of pay are ... things change with negotiated EB's and the like, and I know that there is a newish one kicking around now.

AerocatS2A
16th Jan 2005, 07:45
I can confirm that your figures are out of date.

The training wage hasn't changed much and now days you get it from the start of your training not just when you complete the ground course.

The rest depends on your base. It is not unusual to get $1000 in allowances per month. It is also not unusual to get $0 in allowances per month. Depends on where you are and what aircraft you are flying in. Same with the Coastwatch Allowance, it has been merged into the various incentive allowances for working in out-of-the-way parts of the country, and is different for each base.

If you'd like a job as an observer I'd imagine someone from SA would be quite happy to tell you the pay details at your interview.

Listening Watch
16th Jan 2005, 10:00
sent ya pvt msg