PDA

View Full Version : Is this a boom time or is it still just as hard?

AllInGoodTime
14th Jan 2005, 12:53
Just wondering what the feel is about the industry at present.
Is it becoming a boom period, or is there only steady movement
for experienced drivers. Are there a lot of low time guys getting into QF and similar airlines, such as regionals or only higher time pilots getting in.

I hear conflicting stories like airlines such as CX and QF can't get enough drivers. Is this true or garbage. Or is it the case that these sort of airlines can't get of the right people, they get enough applicants, but not enough that fit what they want.

What is the case, I would appreciate any mature responses. I am not writing this for all those negative pilots trying to scare everyone off, just after a realistic picture of the current and medium term situation.

cheers

hoss
14th Jan 2005, 22:18
I've never known a better time than now for employment:) .

Icarus2001
15th Jan 2005, 02:37
Hoss is right. The major airlines always find it hard to find enough of the "right" person but since they will not invest in training ab-initio then they have to pay for that. There are plenty of airlines around the world that do train ab-initio which gives them more control and a steady stream of pilots. Australian based airlines like to let the GA world do some of the sorting out and then they complain that the skills these pilots "develop" to survive in a bush, outback, country etc environment are not helpful for airline jet operations. Well what a shock!

There is certainly a great deal of movement at present. The number and type of advertisements in Fridays Australian newspaper is a good indication. My feeling is that the downturn in pilot training of the last few years is going to meet the rising demand for pilots very shortly, in fact you could say that it is already happening with companies often recruiting people close to or even below their stated minimum requirements.

Onewordanswer
15th Jan 2005, 08:20
Movement my arse (pardon the pun) but do qualify your comments chaps. If ever there was a waste of cash it must be ATPL training .........No?.......Prove me wrong , Lets here the big sucess story(see I make it easy not asking for more than one). Its honesty that counts not ****e

hoss
15th Jan 2005, 10:29
Onewordanswer,

I'm speaking from what I see in the Regional world. I am for the first time in my career seeing Pilots 'getting in' at the minimum experience level. Last week my Airline had 5 resignations for jet jobs, who knows how many next week? Last year my Airline lost on average 1.1 Pilots a week to 'bigger and better' things. I spoke to 3 guys last week who had declined interviews with an Australian jet airline because they had other things 'in the pipelines', there could be more that I didn't catch up with. I know of 8 guy's at my Airline who have interviews in the next week or two. I know of two airlines whose training departments are in 'over drive'. It's going nuts if your qualified, versatile and ambitious.(admittedly, a few dollars will help if your going for a LCC.)

The way I see it, its only getting better(for pilots) for the time being.

Good luck :)

Hugh Jarse
16th Jan 2005, 08:36
Icarus2001 hit the nail right on the head. A perfect summary of the industry at the moment.

Finding the "right" person is becoming increasingly difficult, as the pool gets shallower.:{

Hoss, our little part of the Regional world is going to see the largest number of recruitment days ever in its history, in February.:\

Boney
17th Jan 2005, 01:22
I tend to agree, I think 2005, as far as progression goes, will be a good one.

In the last couple of years, I believe, a lot larger than normal drivers have left the industry. With Bush determined to bring on another world war/SARS and Airline Pilot salaries edging closer to Mac Donalds wages every year, it is no wonder many have lost faith.

And then there is also the case of fewer people going through Commercial training in the last few years, probably due to above reasons as well as more promising returns in other career paths.

As far as a shortage goes - won't ever happen in the true sence of the word.

However, if it means there will be 2 pilots for every 1 job in GA in this country instead of the usual 3 or 4, then at least plenty of hopefulls will end up in careers that are both satisfying and keep you out of "the working poor".

We will see what happens and good luck to us all!

compressor stall
17th Jan 2005, 03:27
The airlines will never have a massive shortage of pilots as they will just set up programs like in Europe that see 250 hour pilots in the RHS of a 737. But for the short term prospects for employment with a GA/Mil background are good.

Who will really hurt are the "middle to top" GA operators - not only from a pilot turnover point of view but the ability to retain a CP/C&T of a middle sized turbine operation. Recent ads by Skippers, Air Ngu and GAM for C&T guys spring to mind.

I don't think salaries for normal flight crew will be that different in the near future, but senior GA positions will have to pay more to keep people there.