PDA

View Full Version : UK ATPL or JAR ?

Scallywag
14th Jan 2005, 09:50
As my UK ATPL approaches it's 10th anniversary the CAA have sent me a renewal letter and a couple of forms. I have the choice of either renewing my UK licence or converting my national licence to a JAR licence.

My question is what benefits are there (if any) of JAR over my UK licence ?

I've been employed by a major UK operator for the last 8 years, and intend to remain there for a few years yet. Is a JAR licence of any use to me, or would it be more useful if I were to be looking elsewhere for employment ?

BEagle
14th Jan 2005, 15:49
A couple of advantages of a JAR-FCL ATPL - NOT!!:

It's only valid for 5 years.
It doesn't include IMC Rating privileges, so if one day you leave the airlines, you'll need to start paying for IMC Ratings.

No-one in their right mind should consider converting to the JAR-FCL ATPL(A) if they already hold a UK ATPL(A)!

Tinstaafl
15th Jan 2005, 01:33
The only reason I'd opt for JAR over UK is if I suddenly landed a job at the other end of JAR-la-la land & my UK ATPL - or one of my other ICAO ATPLs - wasn't acceptable

DB6
15th Jan 2005, 14:18
Apparently the UK ATPL, upon reissue, is only valid for 5 years too. The IMC thing is a point though. I wonder if they'll let me keep my UK CPL and JAR ATPL? And my lifetime UK PPL too, come to think of it.
JAR really is a load of bollocks.

Tinstaafl
15th Jan 2005, 18:27
Is it possible to retain the national licence as well as be issued with the JAR equivalent? That would be handy.

Scallywag
17th Jan 2005, 19:40
Thank you for the interesting replies, it's something I'd not given any thought over the years since JAR came to be. No-one at work can think of a valid reason to go for JAR rather than renew UK ATPL so I'll let the company pay for that and revisit this subject in 5 years time :confused:

Scally :ok: