PDA

View Full Version : Pilatus PC21

rustyzip
14th Jan 2005, 07:57
Does anyone have details of a Pilatus PC21 incident yesterday?

cargoflyer
14th Jan 2005, 09:19
seems to be "dark one" HB-HZA that crashed... how good is your "german lingo"-> http://www.flightforum.ch/forum/showthread.php?t=30578

Seems to be only one casualty - pilot. R.I.P. :(

hobie
14th Jan 2005, 09:20
no incident info but here's what a PC-21 looks like ....

http://myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00218356

Ptkay
14th Jan 2005, 11:00
Link to the article (in German, but photos):

http://www.blick.ch/news/artikel16534

Pilot died.
Also a person passing-by injured.

R.I.P.

sprucemoose
14th Jan 2005, 11:44
Cargoflyer, I must have seen a better pic than you; it was B, the second prototype (the light coloured one) which crashed.

Condolences to the pilot's family and colleagues.

teeteringhead
14th Jan 2005, 12:29
My German is a tad rusty (more oil Fritz!) but here goes with a (very) rough translation (my comments on translation in brackets).

"Pilatus Pilot dead, female passerby injured.

Buochs NW (Nidwald - the canton?). From the Ennetburgen (placename?) an eyewitness sees the crash of a new PC-21. A female walker is hit by an aircraft part - the pilot dies.

Two latest generation PC-21s were to have spent all of Thursday on training flights. At the weekend they were due to participate in an Airshow in the UAE. There a model was also supposed to be sold, showing how the Pilatus factory is constructed (last sentence doesn't make too much sense to me, so is a literal-ish translation).

But that will not happen: shortly after 1630 one of the machines loses a part during the approach to land, veers suddenly to the left and touches a wing on the ground. As an eyewitness tells Blick Online (the website), the aircraft impacts on the airfield and skids for at least 500 metres across the field.

"It was like a fireball" says the man; this was confirmed later to Radio Pilatus (?) by other eyewitnesses. Police, ambulance and fire services also attend, followed later by a Rega-Helicopter (Air ambulance??). Floodlights were set up between burning trees on the embankment to the Engelberg dam. (possibly searchlights from the helo??) "They are probably searching for someone" opined an observer.

Parts of the wreckage were strewn half on the runway and half in the river. Tragically: A passerby was walking on the popular dam path when the aircraft crashed. She was hit by an aircraft part and severly injured. The Rega (??) stated that she was taken to the Zurich University Hospital.

In the SF DRS television programme "Swiss News", the commander of the Nidwald Canton Police stated that there were at least three eyewitnesses who would be interviewed by police. The machine that crashed was the PC-21, the latest development from the Pilatus Aircraft Factory"

...very ropy I'm afraid, but gives an idea of what seems to have happened. Condolences to loved ones of dead and injured....:(

pooped1
14th Jan 2005, 16:21
Pilot was a really nice bloke and leaves a wife and two young daughters. Very sad day

The aircraft was NOT on approach and the part about something falling from it is extremely suspect.

The aircraft was part of a two ship practising aerobatics for a demonstration to potential customers in the Middle East. It was during this aero practise that the accident occured. Im afraid Swiss news reporting is about as accurate as British news reporting.

Anything else Im afraid would be speculation.

Yep REGA is the air ambulance

Sootakin
14th Jan 2005, 18:31
I had the pleasure of flying with this gentleman only a few months ago. It was a privilege to fly with such a clearly talented and personable professional.....a truly tragic loss to the flight test community. My sincere condolences to his family, friends and professional colleagues at Pilatus.

Nick_H
15th Jan 2005, 10:17
hobie. I took an almost identical pic at Fairford last year. It was my favourite pic of the show because of the back seater with the camera.

Great shame to hear about the crash of the other aircraft. My thoughts are with the family.

gofer
15th Jan 2005, 21:07
Swiss FOCA's Media statement (http://www.aviation.admin.ch/aktuell/medienmitteilungen/00838/index.html?lang=de)

This basically indicates that following the tragic loss of one of the 2 PC21's on Thursday last, the Swiss Authorities have grounded the other PC21, pending the preliminary results of the investigation.

Sad circumstances which could have catastrophic consequences for the future of Pilatus. Lets hope they can find the true cause and fix it. The PC21 has such beautiful lines and looks such a thoroughbread and beautiful planes often are great to fly and learn in....

Link to the Pilatus site (http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/3_training_aircraft/frameset_pc21.htm)

rustyzip
17th Jan 2005, 08:02
Thanks for the translation, Teeteringhead and input from others.

Very sorry to here that the Pilot perished.

No doubt more information will come to light about the cause in the near future.

rustyzip
17th Jan 2005, 12:46
There's a paragraph in the 18-24 Jan issue of Fight International. See page 4