PDA

View Full Version : A320 crosswind takeoff and landing technique

Philip Mew
14th Jan 2005, 06:43
An upcoming simulator scenario includes takeoffs and landings
at max demonstrated crosswind of 29 knots gusts to 38 knots for takeoff and 33 knots gusts to 38 knots for landing.
Will the forward slip technique work OK at 33 Knots gusts to 38
Knots for landing ? I'm guessing that the de - crab technique
is more difficult with crosswinds that strong as one has only one chance to get it right !

Is max reverse recommended, or idle reverse only ?

guclu
14th Jan 2005, 07:27
On the A320 (also other fbw Airbus family) the correct technique is decrabbing. (As Airbus recommend in the standard operating procedures). But with winds like that it is for sure that you might not be able to get all the crab out but it is still accaptable to land with some crab angle. By the way during the decrabbing you might need some amount of joystick input to keep the wings level.

Guclu

Hand Solo
15th Jan 2005, 21:37
From a practical standpoint I'd say a later than normal flare with a partial de-crab would be the sensible way to approach it on a real aircraft. The aircraft will easily cope with a significant amount of crab on landing. By attempting a full de-crab you leave yourself vulnerable to the possibility of an extended flare without crab, which will see you at best make a rather untidy 3 point landing or at worst being blown clean off the side of the runway. In terms of stopping there is little difference between full and idle reverse except noise and subequent brake temperatures. However if the runway is wet or slippery there is an increased possibility of control difficulties with full reverse. More important is to use medium autobrake to ensure the braking is prompt and positive. In summary, I'd plant it with medium autobrake, but be sure not to bounce it or you'll be going around.

Maxrev
17th Jan 2005, 18:43
Good advice above. Also bear in mind that you might find yourself 'stirring the pot' a bit to get it where you want it. When I first went onto the 'Bus I was a bit unnerved at the amount of sidestick input you needed when the going got a bit choppy.

A fair bit of crab is fine, but as Hand says don't leave yourself too far off the centreline or you're on a one way ticket to a pair of wellies.

:cool: