PDA

View Full Version : US Visa

miles offtarget
13th Jan 2005, 18:46
Can anyone who has been to Flight Safety Intl in Wichita recently advise me on visa requirements.

I have a valid C2 visa issued for my initial trg ( thrilling day at the US Embassy for that), but advised by INS at O'Hare that it was not required, and a tourist visa waiver issed in lieu. Confused ???

Not keen on being turned away, so any recent experiences helpful.

Thanks,

Miles Offtarget

Astra driver
13th Jan 2005, 19:03
I don't know the exact requirements, but I would deffinitely call Flight Safety and find out, they will ask for passports, ID's Visas, etc, as soon as you arrive and if you don't have them in order you won't be getting in the Sim, and probably won't be allowed to attend class until you get it sorted out.

The last time I was at FS we had an FAA inspector attending class and he had forgotten his US passport, there were a few awkward moments for the Instructor until the inspector left class and made arrangements to get the passport.

mwl
14th Jan 2005, 11:58
I am quite confused as well. I attended a Florida flight school in the past and used an M-1 visa. The flight school has INS authority to issue the I-20 forms.

Now I plan to go back there again to get more training and work towards the FAA CPL.

But the same school and the same official (who issued my I-20 previously) told me that because with the new TSA security checks, you don't need a student visa. Either a tourist visa or (if you belong to an eligible country) the visa waiver program will suffice. He said you only need a student visa if you attend one of those long-term Part 141 pilot programs (a full time course of study). He said he checked with local immigration officials.

His reasoning makes sense to me: since TSA will check my security and since I'm staying for less than 90 days, there ought to be no need to get a student visa.

But I can't find any US government documents or announcements confirming that. And being very paranoid about getting into trouble with an immigration officer having a bad day, I'm probably going to err on the side of caution and get an M-1 visa. The flight school official said if that made me more comfortable, then he can courier the I-20 soon.

Any views on this matter? If you're TSA cleared and can travel visa free, does that mean you don't need an M-1 if your training is less than 90 days?

Frank Furillo
14th Jan 2005, 14:42
Now thats funny, as the Florida Flight School I am going to next month, to take my CPL and Me have issued me with I-20 Forms and informed me that I have to register with the TSA and get their clearance.
I have had the email from the TSA asking me for my Finger Prints etc and will get them done when I arrive in Florida.
As far as the flight school are concerned the TSA is just annother way of making money and making you jump through hoops for the benifit of George, Don, Condi etc.....

Tinstaafl
15th Jan 2005, 01:37
A rough approximation: If your training results in the issue of *any* FAA certificate then you need the appropriate student visa.

If it's to maintain a qualification you already hold then no special visa required.