PDA

View Full Version : ICAO license convertion?

pilotman
13th Jan 2005, 16:31
I have Canadian ATPL license with B737/300-800 Type Rating. Total hours 3000 and on the type 1800 hours. How can I convert my license to european license?(ICAO or JAA)

Thanks

Pilotman

LFS
13th Jan 2005, 17:33
If you wish to convert your non UK ATPL to a JAR ATPL, you must:

Hold a valid ATPL issued by an ICAO member state.
Have passed the JAR ATPL written exams.
Have more than 1500 hours as pilot of aeroplanes, including amongst other things, 500 hours in multi-pilot operation and 100 hours at night.
Pass the ATPL skill test.

You are exempt any formal training, provided that you hold a current type rating for the type on which you will complete the Skill Test and have logged 500 hours on that type. If you haven't you must complete the appropriate type rating course at an approved TRTO.

LFS
14th Jan 2005, 09:57
wheels up,

Unfortunatley if you cannot get hold of a CAA approved sim or aircraft of the type you are rated on then you will not be able to convert your ATPL without doing a full type rating course on another aircraft. Another option for you would be to convert your CPL/IR and then get a JAA ATPL issued based upon your hours. The CPL conversion is training as required to pass the test and the IR conversion is a minimum 15 hours course.

wheels up
14th Jan 2005, 17:36
Thanks for the info, LFS.

What does the ATPL flight test entail? When you say that a JAR ATPL can be issued on the basis of hours, how many hours are required.

Strato Q
15th Jan 2005, 21:30
LFS, I have a similar query and wondered if you could help. I am due to return to the UK in 12 months time with a NZ CPL/IR and FI Rating. I am aware of the requirements to convert the CPL/IR, but am wondering how I go about converting the Instructor's rating and where I could do this?

IRISHPILOT
16th Jan 2005, 09:11
Wheels up,

Why don't you do the ATPL writtens in CZ or the Slovak Republic? You have the LET rating, I guess? Use the sim here for the ATPL ride. If you need a UK licence after, it's a straight swap.

A licence has to be done under one auhority, so if your ride is for initial ATPL isssue, you need a UK JAR examiner, however if he is willing to travel with you and is rated, there should be no problem.

If you are adding a rating to an existing licence, this is a whole different story and can be done in any JAR country. It does not matter wether this country is member of EU.

Ask the TRTOs directly regarding hours needed.

cheers, IP

LFS
17th Jan 2005, 18:37
Wheels Up:

I m afraid I do not know the details of the ATPL skill test. You could try LASORS or contact a TRTO training on the type you wish to do the conversion on. The CAA have a list on their website.

Strato Q:

I need to doubvle check the rules havent changed, but it used to be that you had to complete half a full FI course and the test. (I just have an idea this has recently been revised will let you know). The CAA will allow you to convert instrument and class rating instructor priviledges, however you cannot exercise these priviledges until you have been through the usual removal if FI restrictions. ie 100 hours JAA instructing and 25 solo send offs

Strato Q
18th Jan 2005, 06:47
LFS:

Thanks for the info, any idea of schools that would teach a half FI course?

LFS
18th Jan 2005, 06:57
Any school that is approved to teach the normal JAA FI course would be able to carry out this training.

LFS
18th Jan 2005, 11:40
I have checked with our FIC instructor and the conversion course consists of 15 hours flying training and 30 hours ground school plus he standard FI Test.

Strato Q
18th Jan 2005, 22:21
LFS- Thanks again, may be giving you a call in 12 months when we return to UK, family from Yorkshire, so may make a good base to do the conversions.

Strato

Jelly Doughnut
19th Jan 2005, 18:57
hi wheels up
look for LASORS on www.srg.caa.co.uk and find the LST-MPA form (License Skill Test Multi Pilot Aeroplane). Its details the required test items for ATPL.

Drop me a line when you're back in the UK.

MOOOOOOOOOOOO :ok:

wheels up
20th Jan 2005, 08:04
Thanks for the info Irish Pilot and LFS. Have contacted the Czech CAA re. licence conversion there. Any one out had any experience of training / converting a licence in Czech Republic?

Jelly Doughnut: MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Should be in the UK in a couple of weeks - give you a shout then.