PDA

View Full Version : PNG Authority phone numbers

Cost Index
13th Jan 2005, 04:28
G'Day,

Trying to get some phone numbers, particularly for the guys that operate the HF and VHF frequencies, FIS I suppose they're called. I would like to know radio procedures and so on when in their airspace and when changing over from OZ.

Cheers :D

OzExpat
13th Jan 2005, 07:48
Save yourself a load of frustration by checking the requirements that are provided in Jepps. That will also tell you about the process for prior approval for flights into PNG. This is most definitely the path of least resistence.

Bagot_Community_Locator
13th Jan 2005, 08:39
The biggest difference I found between radio procedures in PNG and Australia was that in Australia, FS actually communicate with you.

In PNG, sometimes you can call FS as much as you like (yes up to 5 minutes) and no reply.

This is because FS is too busy chewing betelnut (Buai) or they just got not give a :mad: about their job and couldn't care.

I found Madang FS on the weekends to be the worst.

It was getting to the stage where I was putting out "all stations call" and trying to get my own traffic.

Other times, I would report taxi, departure and top of climb all in the same call (because I couldn't get them earlier on).

The next best thing is when your position report is maybe 10 minutes late (you forget) and they haven't even bothered looking for you.

I would hate to try and put out a Mayday call to PNG FS because chances are you won't get heard and they couldn't give a :mad:

Don't bother trying to get a preflight briefing out of Nadzab (PNG's second biggest airport) as it is never available.

Sometimes the printer is out of paper and its just too hard for FS to feed more paper into it.

A few times I've stepped into the back room looking for them (because there is no one at the front counter), and usually 1 of them was always playing Solitaire on the computer.

Don't bother asking them for help, as its just too hard.

chimbu warrior
13th Jan 2005, 21:46
The word "authority" is not synonymous with modern-day PNG.

Cost Index
15th Jan 2005, 09:56
Ok then. :}

I know that there are a few of you that operate up there. Would some of you guys outline for me the difference in radio procedures whilst flying in PNG. IFR and VFR. From what I understand VFR is full reporting. Does this mean all VFR calls are identical to IFR ones? Are the IFR calls the same as in Australia? When crossing into PNG from Australia below 10,000ft what are the best frequencies to use? When crossing over to PNG what would be the type of call made to let them know you're in their airspace, a position report?

Cheers :ok:

The Voice
15th Jan 2005, 20:51
Cost Index ..

I'm not real sure where you are, but respectfully, I suggest if you are anywhere near Brisbane FIC .. why don't you give them a call, and pop in and see them re your enquiry .. after all, they are the ones that will be listening out for you (assuming you will be OCTA) .. they have a wealth of knowledge they may be able to share with you .. failing that, contact Telstra information and get a few phone numbers for PNG ..